R U Mine?

"and i can't help myself
all i ever wanna say is 'are you mine?'
well are you mine?
are you mine."

20th january 2012 • 3pm • alex's house

alex's pov

me and nick are at my house thinking of lyrics for the new album, i knew what i wanted to write about, i just needed a second opinion on what was too obvious. nick knew how i felt about roxanne, and i didn't wanna spoil things with a good friendship if she didn't feel the same and i'd made it too clear.

nick came over at 1, it was now 3, and we had close to nothing. all i had really written was "are you mine?" and "satisfaction feels like a distant memory." i knew how i felt, and so did nick. so why was this so hard?

after a moment of us both staring blankly at the page, nick spoke up.
"i know the main focus of this song will be roxanne, no matter what i say, but why don't you include some of how you feel regularly? not just with her.." he was right.
ideas started flowing through my brain almost immediately until i had ended up with the following:
"in my mind, when she's not right there beside me
i go crazy 'coz here isn't where i wanna be
and satisfaction feels like a distant memory
and i can't help myself
all i wanna ever say is 'are you mine?'"
i have never come up with almost an entire chunk of lyrics so quickly. i felt proud.
when i showed nick, i had to force his mouth shut.
"what about for the main bit, we have a bit more of the 'are you mine' action? like... are you mine? and then some backing being like 'are you mine tomorrow? or just mine tonight?'..." he said.
"nick! you're a genius!!" i shouted
"jesus al calm down.." he said quietly.
"sorry..."

within the next hour we had all the lyrics down and all we had to do now was come up with the music. the most difficult bit for me, but it had to be done. and at least the boys would help out.

january 23 2012 • 6pm • alex's house

we had all met up in my house and set up camp (AKA a rehearsal space) in my spare room.

this was an hour ago now. i showed everyone the finished lyrics and they all agreed that it was gonna be catchy, and wasn't too obvious with who it was about.
nick had told them about my feelings for roxanne.

i had snuck outside for a smoke, until matt crept up on me, almost giving me a heart attack.
"oh my days matt you made me jump you crazy bugger." i exclaimed.
"i just wanna let you know i think this should be a single on our next album, it's so catchy." he said.
"yeah, i think so too.." i replied, i was drifting into my own world today. unable to fully comprehend my surroundings. all i could think about was her. with her intimidatingly large boots and her leather jackets and skirts. it was too much for me to handle.
"and also... it was obvious about roxanne before nick even told us. brea told me." he pointed out.
"how would brea know?" i asked.
"she said it was something about the way you looked at her? in her words: 'absolute adoration and a need for affection'. so yeah, hopefully she doesn't realise it just yet. letting you know man to man." and with that, he walked away, leaving me to think about it all.
no way did i look at her like that? i was good at keeping secrets. or was i? i seriously hope she doesn't know, or id be screwed. there's no way someone like her can find someone so below her level anywhere near attractive.
maybe i was just putting myself down.

i went back to the group, and everything seemed normal-ish again. we added some finishing touches, like some guitar towards the end mimicking the vocals, and some slight changes in lyrics.

by the time everything was finished, it was 7:30pm. we were starving i tell you. we decided to order a pizza, and as the amazing friend i am, i paid for it.

jamie and nick were arguing about what to put on. nick wanted to watch friday night dinner, a true classic, while jamie wanted to watch clueless, according to him: 'just as much of a classic as friday night dinner'.
we settled on watching 2 episodes of FND and then watching clueless, making matt quite upset as he doesn't like those types of movies, and he doesn't like films or shows where they eat considerably loudly.

23 january 2012 • 10:30pm • alex's house

jamie and matt had headed home to see katie and brea, and it was just me and nick here.
"thanks for helping me with the lyrics, man." i said, excitedly.
"i really think it will do well, and it gets my feelings across without putting every detail in plain sight." i continued.
"yeah it's alright, i agree, it's a banger. it's the kind of tune you can blare in a car and not get anyone shouting at you to turn it down." he replied, making me laugh with that last part.
nick had the last slice of pizza and then headed for the door.
"here i'll see you out." i quickly got up and got my keys for the front door.
"thanks."

"bye!" we both said.
as i shut the door, slamming it by accident, i did a rather embarrassing happy dance. the start of our new album, and i was really proud of it. i had quite the adrenaline rush, i had to call her.

i was completely over excited but i knew she wouldn't mind, she was chill.

please pick up, please pick up. i repeated in my head and then eventually i heard a "hello?" come out the other end.

"hello? alex?" she repeated herself. shit, i hadn't said anything yet.
"roxanne! you won't believe it!!" i shouted.
"what's up?" she asked less calmly than her previous 3 words.
"we wrote a new song and it's totally amazing and i have to show you as soon as possible because you're gonna love it and i found my new inspiration and im so happy with it." i rambled on and on, not pausing for breath until the end where i let out a huge one.
"that's great al! what's it about?" she asked.
"it's about this totally amazing thing called LOVE!" i responded, too excitedly.
"i see, i see. well why don't we meet up at mine for a change next weekend and ill have a listen?" she asked me in her angelic voice.

hold on, she was inviting me over?

what have i just done?

"sure!! text me the address and what time you're free and i'm there." i said, once again, too excitedly.
"okay!" she said, before hanging up.

okay so i was going to her house?

this is exciting.

i wrote down the date on my calendar:
"5th feb, roxanne's house. R U Mine? ♡︎"

i'm quite happy with this new alex's pov thing! im excited to also write the next part. thank you so much for reading!
1200 words