Chapter 1

Even Satan refused to hang out saying, "I can't deal with your life right now."

Serenity

I can't do this anymore.

"Please!" she repeated and I shook my head motioning that I stand by my decision. Turned out that our regular coffee session became her weapon to try and pursue me in the shit, I can't afford now.
My best friend "Grace Austin" took that side of the road. She allowed herself to be inspired by the great, "Jane Austin" because they both had "Austin" in their names. In no time, she achieved a prodigious amount of success in her writing career at such a young age.
What's wrong with that? I should be happy and supportive, right? Yeah, no. The issue is that whatever book she wrote had me circulating as the main character. Different names and races but the inspiration was always me. She'd call me whenever I was free and write down my comebacks for her dialogue prompts.
Her books started turning into movies and I starred in one of them. I'd never have done that but she always ended up sleeping on my porch. She is the most persuasive person I've ever met.
I actually am a doctor. That's right, that medical git. Acting is something that comes to me naturally. I mastered this by pretending to pay attention while sleeping internally and convincing everyone that they were wrong and by forcing a smile whenever I saw a patient.
I became a side character in the movie who died in the end. Somehow, people loved my barely 13 minutes of screen time and now my life is hell.
I've been invited to more television- shows than the main characters themselves. All the time, Whenever my patients visit me, they end up taking photos and autographs instead of their medical prescriptions. It really annoys the hell out of me. I never signed up for these things when I picked up one of the quietest careers. The hospital staff usually show me off and sometimes it is too much, considering that people who are not even in need of medical attention come to visit me by pretending.
"I beg you," she said, clapping her hands together in front of me as if she was submitting. The real deal is that this brat's another book's being turned into a movie and she wants me to be the female lead. Her cousin's company was producing it.
"No. Ain't gonna happen!" I told her strictly.
She batted her perfect eyelashes and revealed her grey eyes like a puppy but I have grown accustomed to this acting. It's not like I don't want to accept her wishes, she's there whenever I call but her wishes are more likely to be like Skydiving.
"No, I've refused a thousand times. Where is your pride? Got lost after the Prejudice?" I replied. She gulped her coffee as if her life depended on this drink.
Shut up! You know all too well that she'd prefer it over water.
I don't encourage this unhealthy habit of hers but I still can't stop her from having a life.
I was her senior and fate tied us by her being my roommate. She was and still is weird as hell and leaves me to clean her mess. I never expect her to change and I don't want to. I'm just like an overprotective elder sister who just found out that the younger brat is too spoiled to know about the bad things in the world. As long as she's away from drugs.
"It wasn't a thousand times. Seventy-nine to be exact. That joke about "Pride & Prejudice" is not acceptable anymore." she spoke.
That idiot! Who counts such things? If you're blessed with numbers, it doesn't mean you've got to count nonsense. I'm fed up.
"Let's call it an event and get some sleep. Heaven only knows I deserve it," I suggested heaving a deep sigh. I'm exhausted. I had to take 2 days off from work only to have a cheery conversation with my mental trauma. My colleagues were pissed about it but what can I do? I need rest. I overworked my shift last night and now my back hurts.
"Sure, go on, I've got some assignments to catch up on," she said.
"How much is the bill?" I asked her.
"Oh! Don't worry about it. It's in the house." she grinned.
"Hey! I can't just come and enjoy myself at your cafe for free,"
"No, you are giving me nice company. That counts and you should use that money to replace your old almirah. Heaven only knows it's haunted..."
I laughed at the fact she said my great-great grandmother's almirah was haunted. It's still older than my grandparents. Shooting her a salute, I went outside of her 'Book Palace'. She built it up because she wanted a place to match our aesthetic and vibe. She convinced the owner of this place with a heavy price and then transformed it into Cafe X Library. I sometimes wonder how she does so much work. Juggling her degrees, writing books, attending events, being there for me and her other classmates, and looking out at her cafe and here I feel exhausted about my shifts.
I reached home exhausted. Thankfully my family's got properties in Oxford or I'd end up in rental apartments. It's challenging to survive here. The house was built before World War 1 and no one dared to fix it but me. I had this whole place renovated. It's a fine combination of classic, vintage, and modern aesthetics. I had to throw out a lot of old junk. Almost all of the weird portraits. I know 'old is gold' but I also know that 'rubbish is rubbish'. I should probably rest now that my head is buzzing. All I could think about was a nice bath to wash the hospital's stench off of me. I would appreciate a nice simple book and classic music to match the vibe of the night.
I got into the bath with cold water. It's early autumn but I can stand cold water till mid-December. I imagine Grace would chicken out saying that the water is too cold for her. Thinking of Grace, I wondered why she wanted me to take a part in her book's movie. I know that her elder cousin Orion Black, the most famous director in this era had agreed to direct the movie and she's still convincing her that oh so special other cousin, to help her.
I loathe her 'that' cousin. Despise him. My hatred for him only grows. I don't recall his name. It's that scenario where one of us shares details about their family and now you have a beef with a random guy. I think I'd call myself a great friend.
I got out of the bath and pulled on my pyjamas. A white loose T-shirt with a cupcake and a pair of black shorts. I sleep way too comfortably with my body than I think I should.
Chopin - Ballade no. 1 in G minor, played as I found myself in bed with one of my favourite classic thriller books, "Misery" by Stephen King. Yeah, I do have a slight taste. I received a phone call before I undid my braids for bed. Without looking I picked up and attended the call.

"Hello, dear daughter. Long time, no see and no calls too." My father's voice was full of mockery and by now, I've grown accustomed to it.
"Why yes, Dad. Calling me out of the blue at this time should be a good omen, I suppose."
"Your mother's been asking about you."
"And she couldn't call herself? Do you know what time it is?"
"I do. You should talk to her."
"Hey! Dad!"
"Serenity! How could you yell at your father like that?"
"Here we go!"
"Don't start it right now. I'm worried that you won't come back to Bradford to visit us. It's exactly 1 hour and 11 mins drive!"
And here we start the numbers. Why should everyone discuss numerals? She was in the middle of lecturing me when I heard a loud thump on my porch.
"Hey Mom! Can I call you back tomorrow? My back hurts and I need rest."
"Are you still going to come up with this as an excuse when I tell you to start a life? We are not old-fashioned parents. You need to find someone..."

Just like that, I cancelled the call. I have more important issues than being a virgin and ending up alone. There's an intruder on my porch! Pulling out Grandpa's old shotgun, I rushed to see who was there. Opening the front door, I met a mess of glossy jet-black hair; condition dishevelled.
A body was lying on the door front and I yelled at my full potential, "Grace Austin Black! You insolent little..." but before I could freak out some more she got up with the help of my legs as a ladder. Is she sober? Well, she should be, she's got trauma from drinking.
I helped her and she released a discomforted moan. I checked her pulse to find that this idiot caught a cold. Great! Sleep on the porch again! The idiot is sensitive to cold and she's utterly not caring enough.
"C'mon! Up you get! You're sick," I scold-ordered her.
"I was about to knock but..."
"But?"
"I didn't feel like it."
Wow! Anything else?! God why and when did I decide to become an adult-sitter?
I guided her inside to her room and as expected the brat forgot to have her dinner. So I decided to teach her a lesson with vegetable soup. Yes! You heard me right. I can be a tyrant.
After serving her or probably threatening and forcing her to get the veggies down her gullet, I decided to bring warm towels for her. Just like that, I checked her body temperature which was 38.7 degree Celsius and I knew it was only the beginning. She's the type who has a mild fever first then leads to disaster.
"Pray, tell me why were you out there in the cold? Why weren't you at your apartment? Don't you have any sense?" I scolded her.
"Sorry?"
"Grace! Don't be a disgrace! I have banned you from the porch a dozen times before. Why can't you understand?"
Dear God! I'm done playing nanny now. I need my rest!!! Why do I have to be here? I'm so done with my life. My mum's nagging me and wants me to go on blind dates. My colleagues want me to attend their parties to show me off. My best friend doesn't care about herself and I - all I want is a break.
"Well, why can't you understand that I need you to star in the film?"
Oh my! Are we here again? Stupid git! I can't leave my job to go to New York to play to her tune. The hospital will never let me leave. I can't leave.
"Why me?" I groaned.
"I swear if you agree this once, I'll be good," she pouted. Stop! Her flushed face and pink nose added to cuteness. She's got baby features, I can't help it!I can tell that beauty is in their family genetics.
"You swore the same thing last time." I reminded her.
"Either believe me on that or agree on the blind dates your mother is going to set you up for " she shrugged.
Wait! Does she know? Of course she does. She and my mum get along like long lost besties.
"She told you?"
Grace stuck out her tongue and rolled towards the other side causing her back to face me.
Patience. Deep breath. Smile.
"Answer me, silly billy."
"We made a deal. She wants you to hangout, so, you know,"
I groaned again. It's not like my mum will let me go. Why? Why can't I enjoy my life in solitude? I'd know my person when I see him, it's not like I'd get old in a few years.
"If I agree then do you promise-" I began.
"I promise anything!" she chipped, cutting my sentence.
"You haven't even listened to what I was about to say!"
She shrugged like a kid. Pro: If you agree with her you'd be relieved from the porch duty and your mother will be quiet for sometime. Con: You are stepping in a world with no way back. Black Entertainment is a worldwide known name.
Pro: You can take a break and visit a new place. Con: Your life will be surrounded by nosey intruders if you keep up. Pro: She'll probably pay attention to her health. Con: It's Grace we are talking about.
Not the puppy eyes again!
"Fine!" I told her and she jumped out of the bed dancing. Where's her cold!?