Chapter 20

"Shell! Wait!" Kit's breath got stuck in his throat. He jumped forwards and grabbed Shell's hand. The boy turned around slowly and looked at Kit questioningly.

"We escaped from the ship together and I don't know exactly what happened, but I woke up on the beach and then the children found me," Kit's words almost ran out. Could Shell really not remember? Kit was about to continue his story when Shell suddenly started laughing. Kit stopped his explanations, taken aback.

"I know, I was kidding," Shell laughed and gave Kit an encouraging pat on the shoulder.

"I sent the kids out to look for you, I was pretty sure your body would be washed ashore near here," Shell explained with a broad grin.

"What?" Kit barely heard what Shell said. He knew Shell's sardonic laugh, the triumphant and the fake. But Kit couldn't remember a moment when Shell had laughed heartily. He realised that he had never seen the boy happy. On impulse, he closed his arms around Shell. The boy reacted with surprise but returned the gesture after a brief hesitation.

"I'm glad you're okay," Kit whispered and could feel a slight nod on his shoulder.

"I'm glad to be here," Shell replied and then released herself from the hug.

"This here next to me is Yuccan. He's the new leader here," Shell introduced the man next to him. He bowed to Kit.

"Welcome to the Itoxahual! My name is Yuccan. Today we are celebrating," the man greeted Kit. Kit could hear that he hadn't spoken English for a long time and was struggling to find the right words, but Kit was surprised that he understood and could speak the language at all. He wondered if the Montgomerys had taught the Itoxahuals English and the Itoxahuals had taught the Montgomerys the language of their tribe. Yuccan then spoke to the children and took his leave.

"Why are we celebrating? Am I going to end up on the barbecue?" Kit hissed at Shell and frowned questioningly.

"Don't make a fool of yourself. The Itoxahual only eat prisoners of war. You don't fall into that category," Shell grinned cheekily, so Kit couldn't be sure whether he was joking or being serious.

"We're celebrating the fact that I'm back. It's as simple as that," Shell explained happily.

"I thought maybe we were celebrating that we're both still alive. What about Heth? Don't we need to warn people? Or something like that?"

"I already told Yuccan what Heth is up to. He said we'd deal with it first thing tomorrow. But today is time to celebrate. And for what it's worth, I am so going to celebrate today," Shell laughed in his face. Kit could have said something about why it wasn't clever to celebrate or why they should take it easy, but for a split second Kit saw in Shell what Shell really was: a teenager who wanted to have fun.

"Well, I hope there's something good to eat and drink at this party," Kit muttered.

"You'll see! But first I'll show you the village," Shell explained, gesturing for him to come along. He led Kit along the main road he had come on, along the narrow paths and explained the individual functions of the houses and stalls, as well as the individual monuments and buildings.

"Yuccan lives over there with his children Fran and Eleuia," Shell pointed to the living quarters carved into the rock.

"The tribal leaders and their families have always lived there. The last time I was here, it was a different family. But I've heard that they're no longer here. Fran and Eleuia picked you up from the beach. You can thank me for that later," Shell mentioned casually.

"Is it rude to wear clothes?" Kit wanted to know as they passed a group of young men who eyed him suspiciously.

"How?"