CHAPTER 17

"Are you sad? Did I say something wrong?" I asked after noticing the look on Paenji's face

"Are you sad? Did I say something wrong?" I asked after noticing the look on Paenji's face. She had suddenly gone completely silent and it was a mystery to me why her cute smile had disappeared from one moment to the next. She had also lowered her arms, which had been resting on my shoulders, and was looking down at her shoes. Her eyes were covered by her eyelashes and her discreetly made-up lips trembled slightly.

"No, it - it's childish of me to react like this," she murmured quietly to herself, her voice just a delicate lilt. "I'm sorry."

I pressed my lips together, knowing now that it was because of what I'd said.

So I carefully took her hand, gently whispered her name and pulled her towards me with a twist so that she was standing with her back to my chest. "I may not understand why my statement offended you. But I can explain what it means to me." I pointed up to the sky, from where you could still clearly see the waxing moon despite the headlights. "I love the full moon. And I love soccer. Do you know what these things have in common? They are round. Of all the shapes, my favorite is the circle. It has no corners or edges. A circle is a flat geometric shape that consists of all points in a plane that are equidistant from a certain point in that plane, called the center. The distance of the points on the circle from the center is called the radius or radian and is a positive number. The circle is a fundamental object in Euclidean geometry."

There was silence for a long time after my explanation. So quiet that I had to make sure Paenji hadn't fallen asleep standing up. But when I leaned forward to see her face, her eyes were looking up at the sky. "I don't understand," she said quietly and I didn't know if it was meant for my ears.

"I just wanted to explain that it wasn't my intention to offend you. I just like your face for that reason. I like looking at it," I tried to explain in other words.

When Paenji turned to me, her hands were resting on my forearms. She looked at me with raised eyebrows and her eyes were wide and dilated. The soft pink on her cheeks matched her lips and her hair blew lightly in the evening breeze. I felt her fingers dig lightly into my skin before she surprised me with a hug. Her cheek now rested against my shoulder and I placed my hands carefully on her back.

I hadn't expected that now.

Was this Park Paenji's way of showing gratitude?

Or had I said something wrong again?

Her silence worried me, but I didn't know what else I could say. After all, I didn't want to make things worse and it was difficult to take back what I had said.

So all I could do was stroke her back. Just like I sometimes did with my dog Haengbogi when I wanted to try and calm myself down.

Maybe it would help Paenji too.

But I was unfortunately a person who depended a lot on communication and the truth in it.

"Talk to me, Paenji," I mumbled helplessly, "I want to know what you're thinking right now. Am I talking nonsense?"