Year Two: Snake Language/The Polyjuice Potion

Start from the beginning

Harry: Oh. That's my friend Peter Parker.

Justin: What happened to him? His hand I mean.

*Harry froze. But before Justin could ask, Lockhart spoke up.*

Lockhart: Let me introduce my assistant...Professor Snape.

*Everyone looked out to the other side of the table to see Snape walking up and removing his cloak.*

Lockhart: He has sportingly agreed to help with a short demonstration. I don't want any of you youngsters to worry. You'll still have your Potions master when I'm through with him. Never fear.

*Peter crossed his fingers and mentally prayed. Lockhart and Snape rose their wands, bowed to each other, walked about five steps away from each other, and turned back around.*

Lockhart: One. Two. Three!

Snape: Expelliarmus!

*Snape's spell fires outward and knocks Lockhart onto his ass. Peter joined in the laughter when that happened.* 

Hermione: Do you think he's all right?

Ron: Who cares?

*Lockhart got slowly back up.*

Lockhart: An excellent idea to show them that, Professor Snape...but if you don't mind me saying, it was obvious what you were about to do. If I had wanted to stop you, it would have been only too easy.

Snape: Perhaps it would be prudent to first teach the students...to block unfriendly spells, professor.

Lockhart: An excellent suggestion, Professor Snape. Let's have a volunteer pair. Potter, Weasley, how about you?

Snape: Weasley's wand causes devastation with the simplest spells. We'll be sending Potter to the hospital wing in a matchbox. Might I suggest someone from my own house? Malfoy, perhaps?

*Snape instructs Malfoy to get up onto the stage. Harry walks up.*

Lockhart: Good luck, Potter.

Harry: Thank you, sir.

*He walks forward until he and Malfoy were inches away from each other.*

Lockhart: Wands at the ready.

*Both Harry and Draco raise their wands.*

Draco: Scared, Potter?

Harry: You wish.

*Peter and Ron smirked with a look that said "Karma's coming for Malfoy." Harry and Draco lower their wands and take 5 steps away from each other and turn around.* 

Lockhart: On the count of three...cast your charms to disarm your opponent. Only to disarm. We don't want any accidents here. One. Two.

Draco: Everte Statum!

*Draco wasn't going to wait anymore and used his spell on Harry, sending him flying backwards. The Slytherins started laughing. Harry got back up and aimed at Malfoy.*

Harry: Rictusempra!

*Harry's spell hit Draco, causing him to spin uncontrollably and landed on his ass. Snape picked him up.*

Lockhart: I said disarm only.

Draco: Serpensortia!

*A snake shot out of Draco's wand and slithered out towards Harry. Draco seems glad he used that. Snape walked over to deal with it.*

Snape: Don't move, Potter. I'll get rid of it for you.

Lockhart: Allow me, Professor Snape. Alarte Ascendare!

*The snake was shot upwards and then it came back down. It then hissed and looked over at Justin. Suddenly, Peter heard Harry talking in a different language, one he's never heard Harry speak in before. And the snake looked at him like Harry was giving it orders.*

Snape: Vipera Evanesca.

*Snape's spell set the Snake on fire and it disappeared. Everyone then looked at Harry.*

Justin: What are you playing at?

*Harry looked around and everyone was giving him looks. After class, the four rushed back to the common room.*

Ron: You're a Parselmouth? Why didn't you tell us?

Harry: I'm a what?

Peter: What's a Parselmouth?

Hermione: It means Harry can talk to snakes.

Harry: I know. I accidentally set a python on my cousin Dudley at the zoo once.

Peter: You did what?

Harry: Once. But so what? I bet loads of people here can do it.

Hermione: No, they can't. It's not a very common gift, Harry. This is bad.

Harry: What's bad? If I hadn't told that snake not to att*ck Justin...

Ron: That's what you said to it.

Harry: You were there. You heard me.

Ron: I heard you speaking Parseltongue. Snake language.

Harry: I spoke a different language? But I didn't realize...How can I speak a language without knowing I can?

Hermione: I don't know, but it sounded like you were egging the snake on or something.