THE ONE WHERE HE DIED

Start from the beginning

Sure, she loved Klaus like a brother, it would be hard not too after spending almost a millennium with him but that didn't mean she didn't hate him too— but that's what made them family.

She was bought from her thoughts by her phone ringing, almost as if he knew he was being thought about, the hybrids name appeared on her screen.

"To what do I owe this pleasure?" She remarked.

"You need to get your boyfriend in check, Rhea," the hybrid started, "This Silas business is driving him mad."

"You think I don't know that?" She asked almost rhetorically, "Where is he?"

"He's at the Gilbert house. He's claiming they're trying to kill him, so he's going to attempt to do it first."

"I don't see the problem in that." She said with a laugh, "Would it be so much of a loss?"

Klaus sighed, "Jeremy Gilbert could very well best even Kol, you know how tedious these little hunters are."

Rhea hummed, "Okay, I'll meet you there. And Klaus? If I have to kill either of the Gilberts, do not get in my way."

She didn't even give the hybrid a chance to reply before hanging up the phone and leaving for the Gilbert house, she was feeling particularly murderous over the fact that the doppelgänger and her hunter brother would even conspire to kill Kol— Lord have mercy on anyone who tried to take him away from her.

•••

When Rhea had reached the Gilbert home, that was when her world imploded. The door was open, and she had heard the commotion coming from the inside and had assumed that Kol had been making good on his promise —  and ending the two less than tolerable siblings.

What she didn't expect to find, as she went to step into the property— Jeremy Gilbert plunging a white oak stake into the originals heart.

An earth shattering scream was to be heard, and it would only be much later that Rhea realised it was in fact— hers.

She tried to enter the house but was unable too, she gathered they would've taken precautions so that they could follow through with their plans.

As Kol's body hit the floor, he looked at Rhea, "I'm sorry, Rhea. I'm so sorry. I love you."

And then his body went up in flames and Rhea couldn't believe what she was seeing. The witch fell to her knees with the pure, unbridled pain that has shot through every part of her body.

He was gone.

"What have you done?" She heard Klaus question lowly from behind her. She was certain he had a conversation with the Gilbert's but nothing was making sense to her in that moment. Nothing. The tears flew like the Nile and her heart had shattered into a thousand pieces. She had always had times when she was away from Kol— but that was a dagger.

This death wasn't temporary.

Rhea was pulled from her mental chaos when Bonnie Bennett arrived, magically pulling the hybrid into the house and throwing him into the living room which would trap him with a barrier spell.

"Oh Bonnie," Rhea started, wiping away the remainder of tears, coming to her feet, "Dark magic has its price. I'm guessing you've cast a little spell to keep me out?"

Bonnie nodded, "That's right. It was me."

Rhea smirked, "Forever the Martyr, you Bennett's." With a snap of her fingers, the Bennett witch passed out enabling Rhea to break through the spell which prevented her from entering.

"Elena, stay back." Jeremy told his sister as he took a threatening step towards the witch.

Rhea laughed, "You know," with a wave of her hands she pinned both Gilbert's to a nearby wall, "What I really want to do, is wipe the Gilbert family from existence— but no, that would be too easy."

She came and stood in front of Elena who was practically whimpering in fear, "So I'm going to let you live Elena, and I'm going to let you go and get that cure. And when you're human and even more weak than you already are, I want you to know that any day, any time, any place I could show up and put an end to you. Trust me, there will come a day when it won't just be paranoia, sweet Elena." She threatened.

She turned to Jeremy, "And you. When the day comes that your sisters miserable existence is ended. — you'll watch, and it will be slow and painful and everything you could ever fear for your sister. An eye for an eye seems fitting, little hunter."

With a wave of her hand, the two were knocked unconscious.

Then there was Klaus.

"Well come on now, love, break this barrier spell and let me out would you?"

Rhea laughed as she turned, "And what makes you think I would do that?"

His eyes darkened, "Choose your actions wisely, Rhea."

"Or what, you'll dagger Kol? You're too late for that!" She shouted, pointing at her loves dead body she couldn't even look at, "You just lost all your leverage against me. I've just lost all that I have to lose. Seems poetic don't you think?"

"You obviously blame me." He stated.

"We were supposed to leave today." She started, "This town may have turned you soft Nik, probably to do with you chasing that blonde skirt who has 0 interest in you. You stay here and you help them find the cure, make more hybrids at the expense of your brothers life, that's on you, but mark my words— the next time you see me, run."

And with that, a broken and vengeful Rhea Monroe left the town that ruined her life and broke her spirit.

•••

Dedicated to @mycalling23
& @allygirl8978 🩷