Chapter 2

Beep, beep, beep.

Sharp, blinding white lights pierced Japan's eyes when she slowly lifted her eyelids open. "Where am I?" Japan rolled over and moaned. "Oh, thank goodness you're all right, I down right had a heart attack when your mother brought you into the hospital, who would dare do such a thing to a poor child? May I ask who gave you those scars?" An unknown figure loomed over her. His flag was red with a white cross in the center, kind of like an inverted hospital flag. He had messy curly red hair, soft eyes and a warm smile. "Where am I?" Japan asked once more, rubbing her head. "You're in the hospital, I'm Switzerland by the way, and if you don't mind, may I ask what happened and who or what gave you those scars?" Switzerland pointed at the faint white lines on Japan's arms and legs. "Oh, um...when I was young, I slipped down a hill and crashed into a bush." Japan lied. Switzerland didn't looked convinced but didn't push any further, she liked him. "How is your head? Are you feeling a bit dizzy?" He asked gently. "My head still sort of hurts, and yes, I do feel a bit dizzy." She admitted. Looking around, Japan just realised that there wasn't anybody else in the room, just her and Switzerland, not even her mother was here. "Your mum left, saying that she had some work to do, or something like that." Switzerland suddenly spoke, as if reading her mind. "Oh, ok. What time is it?" She asked, changing the subject. "It's around one in the afternoon. Why?" Switzerland asked. "Oh, I'm just wondering, so I've been out for.." Japan knew that she passed out at around...one, in the afternoon. "I've been out for a whole day!" Japan sat up, shocked by how much time she's wasted. "Hey, hey, slow down there, that little head of yours still needs time to recover, and yes, you have been out for a whole day, and no, you cannot leave right now, even if you claim that you feel better." Japan stared at him, mouth gaping. "How do I know all of that you ask? Well I've treated a lot of people around your age, so I know a few of the questions that I am going to get asked." He chuckled. "Mr Switzerland, can I tell you something? Just promise me that you won't tell anybody else, especially my mum" Switzerland looked down at Japan and gave her a warm smile. "Sure, I won't tell a single soul."

"I lied, I didn't slip down a hill, I didn't get attacked by a bush, my mum actually gave me these scars. She never really wanted a daughter, so when I was born, she ever really liked me that much, and now that I have a younger brother, she started neglecting me and treating me like a house maid, hitting me whenever I did something wrong, draw or just simply say no." Tears slipped down Japan's cheeks and onto the white hospital bed sheet. "Am I the only one who knows about this?" Switzerland asked. Japan shook her head. "My teachers at school know, and so do my mum's friends, Kingdom of Italy(K.o.I), and Third Reich. I think Soviet Union also knows, but I'm not too sure." Japan twiddled her thumbs, not meeting Switzerlands face. "You need help, Japan. How long has your mother been abusing you?"

"Four years. But it's fine, I don't need any help I'm sure it will get better as I grow older, be more useful to the family." Japan whispered the last part to herself. She's been telling herself that part for the past four years, and yet nothing changed even now when she's already eight. "Ok, I have a feeling that this isn't going to be the last time we meet." Switzerland mumbled to himself.

Japan sat in the car in silence. Ja-chan sat next to her, playing with some toys that their mother had brought for him. "Mum?" Japan asked after gathering enough courage to ask her mother the question that she has been wanting to ask for years. "What?" J.E snapped. "Do you care for me?"

"No"

"Do you love me?"

"No"

"Why?"

"Shut up." J.E snapped again. Japan looked down at her feet, tears slipping down her cheeks. "Sorry", Japan mumbled. "It's ok, I'll always love you." Ja-chan placed his small hand on hers. Japan looked up to see her little brother smiling at her warmly and couldn't help returning it. "Thank you. You're the best little brother anybody can ask for." Japan held Ja-chan's hand and looked at him in the eye. She reached over and wrapped her arms around him, giving Ja-chan a big hug. "You're the best big sister anybody can ask for." Ja-chan mumbled in Japan's shoulder. From where J.E sat, she let out a long, frustrated sigh that sounded a lot like a hiss. "愚かな役に立たない子供、いつも私の邪魔をしている、なぜ彼女は代わりに男の子に生まれることができないのですか?" Stupid useless child, always getting in my way, why can't she just been born a boy instead? J.E mumbled to herself, letting out another slow and silent hiss. She probably thought that Japan and Ja-chan couldn't hear her but Japan did, she heard every word clear as day.

After that got back home, Japan was back at  it again, putting on an apron and dusting every corner of her house, washing every piece of clothing and dish. After she did all of that, J.E told her to mop the floor, again. "But mum, I just mopped it a few days before." Japan protested. J.E grabbed Japan's arm, smacked her right across the face. "Don't you dare talk back to me again child, just take my word for it ok?" J.E hissed in her ear. Japan nodded, her ears pressed against her head as she slowly waddled over to the bathroom and grabbed the mop. While she was mopping, Ja-chan said something completely unexpected. he stood up and walked over to their mother. "Mummy, can I go and help swissy?" Japan's ears tilted at the direction of the sound and smiled without looking up. "Oh, your still to young my little angel, I don't want you to get hurt." J.E replied, patting Ja-chan's head. "But I'm already three! I'm a big boy!" Ja-chan puffed out his chest and put his hands on either side of his hips. J.E chuckled and simply just ruffled his hair once more. "You see, you're only three, and Japan is already eight, you're still too young, you probably can't even lift up a mop yet, how about you just eat up, grow nice and strong and then you can help her ok?" Japan looked up and Ja-chan and J.E, knowing well that what her mother had said was a load of lies, but there wasn't nothing she could do about it but just simply mop the floor. Gosh I wish I could do something! Maybe if I'm not to scared of getting hurt, it'll be better. Japan thought frustratedly.