The Pearl Wing Mansion : Chapter Five

Start from the beginning

"I just – I can't believe you are okay with never being able to have sex with me," I add.

"You've been getting weaker and weaker. You'll die if we have sex," Claudius states the obvious, "But I want you alive. You're my wife. I'm making sure I protect your soul. Yes, I love to caress you and taste you as you fill my cup... but I'll never go beyond a taste. I can't. In truth, I'm happy with you being completely untouched."

"I want to be able to bond completely with you," I sit up as my negative emotions give me a spike in energy. I sit up and shuffle back against the pillows.

"So you want to wither away and die?" Fontaine mocks me with a raised brow, "Calm yourself, Alexandra."

"You could just make me an incubus, we could be together forever," I mutter under my breath, "And you won't do it this time? Now is the perfect time to put me through a Turning."

Fontaine carefully places his book aside and he reaches out a gloved hand to hold mine between us. He wraps my small hand into his larger one. He squeezes and turns to lie down on his side, facing me and tugging me back down to rest, his face resting on his pillow and my face now resting on mine adjacent to him.

"You met a dead man," Claudius reminds me, "I met a young woman with her life ahead of her. I never thought I'd fall in love with you. Become entranced. Here I am. And you're complaining I don't Turn you again? Because... that is my decision. I want you. But I will not – immortal or not – I will not harm you again."

"You think you don't deserve me," I mutter, narrowing my eyes.

"Actually I do, and I believe I own you. You may not understand me, but you are my property, I married you in my time," Claudius reaches out a hand and brushed some hair off my cheeks, the leather separating his skin from mine, "I know I command you. And I waited for you. Hundreds of years. To feel you again. I'm dedicated to you, Alexandra, it's not about what I deserve. I already have you. You understand?"

"You know what... you're still dead," I figure, and I see it shocks him, "Because you're a demon now."

"And that's news?" Claudius growls, a tad irate, "I could torment you. If I wanted. And do I?"

"You are tormenting me, Claudius!" I snap back, pulling my hand from his as I slide out of the bed and I stand up, naked and cold. I turn to look for a soft robe and I see one behind one of the ajar cupboards lining the wall near me. I take one out and drape it around me, turning back to Claudius with a glare. He's still lying on the bed, where I left him, his eye on me like I'm silly prey who's thinking they can call the shots while in the demon's den.

"You're scared of me," Claudius speaks in a monotone, just staring at me, "At least you've grown some brains... my little slut," HA! I can hear it, the desire to have me. He's also tormenting himself. Mellowing the urge.

I remember he used to call me a whore by his old traditional standards, when I had my old life and I had experiences with men before him. He didn't get that. He didn't like it.

But beyond that, my heart right now, in this moment, is unravelling in all directions at once.

I love Fontaine but I despise his temper.

And guess what? I have one hell of a temper too.

"If you want to play mean, sleep alone," I use a cold monotone, "I may be mortal, Claudius, you may be my Dominant – my Master, even... but you will never be my true husband. Not while you're a coward. You ever heard of divorce in the 21st century?" I can't help but let out a cheeky smirk when I see how angry he gets when I mention that, "Yeah, I have rights in this day and age. I'm breaking up with you. Actually, let's just say I need space. You're taking me to Clue in the morning. I'm moving back in with my parents. I'll have a life. And sex – without you."