The Pearl Wing Mansion : Chapter Two

I walk into the surrounding gardens of the Pearl Wing Mansion where the roses aren't in bloom yet. All except for one pink rose, small and curled up – about to unfurl under the overcast skies. It had been blue moments ago, but the close mountain peaks attracted fog and dense clouds quickly. They could appear in a single breath and suddenly the place looked damp and dewy. A photographer's nightmare or heaven – or both. I really wish I brought my camera.

I approach the pink rose and I touch it with my hands, just appreciating the small things.

I hear light footsteps behind me, and at the corner of my eye I see Pearly approach with her hands clasped in front of her.

"How did you become witches?" I ask, looking over my shoulder, aiming to ask this question eventually.

"Dagger Spellman," Pearly has lost her air of excitement from before. Now, she's sad as she approaches me to look at the pink rose, "...one horror filled night."

The way she says it, I fear for her and Isela. What on Earth happened to them? Or rather, what in Hell happened here?

"Would you like to speak about it?" I ask as I turn to Pearly, to see her eyes already filled with shining tears.

She takes my arm and walks with me through the green garden, down through tall grass as she explains, "Dagger was the love of my life, he lived here. This was his mansion. There was a period where Claudius was very misaligned... he went through some things... we've forgiven him now, but... his bad days started here. I was visiting Dagger on the daily. Isela had been working on designing hats and dresses, Dagger invited her to design here. He was an aristocrat, born into this. I came with Isela, as the younger, bratty sister. Although, we were all grown up then, I was 19, Isela, 21. I was more interested in horses and animals than fashion at that point. Dagger had a large wolf hound – beautiful... sorry, I'm getting side-tracked," Pearly had been drowning in the memories, but now she speaks more succinctly, "Dagger and I became intertwined. Claudius did not like him. They immediately hated one another. I'd say from being too alike, although Dagger was more generous even though he too could be strict... I can't tell you about that hatred between them. I assumed Claudius simply believed no man was good enough for his baby sister. He organised our turning, Isela and I. Our brother, killed Dagger Spellman. After I married him. So... I inherited the Pearl Wing..." Pearly looks at me, "But instead of incubi, we became witches. For one soul, halved, to be a witch was the least powerful supernatural entity we could evolve into and still be ageless. However... though I know Dagger's ghost is at the Pearl Wing Mansion – he can not see us. He can only see mortals. So even if he hears my name, he can't see me. And I can't see him," Pearly finishes her story with this, "The Pearl Wing is a haunted place, Alexandra."

"How do you not hate Claudius?" I ask this even though I know he is my husband, I feel disgust.

"He apologised, I forgave him, 300 years is a long time," Pearly admits this, "And I still love my brother. Despite his flaws. His arrogance. His mistakes. And he has never done anything so vile since, and never will again."

"I'm so sorry," I don't know how else to express my condolences.

"It's alright," Pearly manages a laugh, "Life is cruel. I didn't mean to sour the mood..." she sighs and closes her eyes, "I've long since accepted it, even though I think about him every single day."

I try not to burst into tears for Pearly.

She's so accepting.

"I need to go back inside," I turn from her. I simply can't keep my anger at bay.

"Please don't confront Claudius about him – Alix!"

I can't stop the anger pumping through my heart, my fists clenched.