Chapter 10

Dazai Osamu

16 years old

I didn't visit Tsuyuri for the entire week. Mori-san had kept me busy with missions and other tasks. The last time I saw her was the day I reunited with her again after one year.

But today, it was finally the day my sister was released from the hospital.

"Boss." I dipped my head to Mori. He smiled.

"Dazai-kun. Today you'll be relieved from any missions," He explained. "Instead, you will help Tsuyuri-kun get used to the Port Mafia."

"Really?" I blinked, surprised. "You- you still want her? Even if she..."

"Her ability will make the Port Mafia powerful." Mori smirked. "And I'm sure she won't disappoint me, even with her disability."

I stared at him; was he lying? Was he trying to lure Tsuyuri in and use her against me?

"You shouldn't be just standing here." Mori snapped me back to reality. "Tsuyuri-kun is waiting for you."

I pushed away all my feelings of doubt; Tsuyuri was joining the Port Mafia.

Maybe she'd help me find a meaning in life. Or commit double suicide with me, if she couldn't.

Dazai Tsuyuri

13 years old

I stared at my legs as I sat in my wheelchair, waiting for Osamu to come and take me away from the hospital. They were wrapped in bandages, covered partly by the white hospital gown I wore. Akio-san had advised me to wear the bandages in case the skin reacts badly to harsh environments.

But I knew it's because he was worried everyone would judge me by my scars. One long, jagged, ugly scar after another, some from the crash, and others from surgery. My legs were skinny, bony, and pale. Lifeless. Strange. Useless.

"Tsuyuri-san?"

Who cared if I died, anyways? Not my dead parents. Maybe Osamu, but he'd forget me after a while, living his happy, content life in the Port Mafia.

"Tsuyuri-san?" The nurse called.

"Is Osamu late?" I asked. The nurse shrugged, and I slumped back down in my wheelchair.

Just as I was about to heave out of my seat and back into my bed, the door slid open and my brother entered the room.

"Tsuyuri!" His expression lightened as he spotted me. He gave me a quick hug. "I'm sorry I was late; I was talking to Boss."

He grabbed the handles at the back of my wheelchair. "I'll push you for now, okay?"

I smiled up at him. "Okay." Pushing the wheels of my chair was hard work, and sometimes I could barely feel my arms after wheeling around the hospital.

Osamu beamed at the nurse, who was blushing furiously. "We'll be going, now."

He pushed me through the doors, awkwardly navigating around the hospital. We entered the elevator, waiting as the big red number descended.

"Boss gave me a day off to show you around," Osamu said. "You'll get some training for a few weeks, then go off to do some simple assignments until Boss knows what group to-"

"He still wants me?" I interrupted. Osamu paused.

"Well, yeah." He pushed me out of the elevator. "He said your ability would make the Mafia stronger, so he still wants you."

"Oh," was all I said, but inside, I felt much better. My heart suddenly sank a moment later.

Someone still wanted me, at least. But how long would that last? How long until they threw me out after I stopped being useful?