Dreamwalker

The Dreamworld…most people would probably think it’s a place full of fluffy clouds, rainbows, and all the things you love. And it can be if you’re five and want to dream about unicorns and dragons. But for most people the dreamworld looks and feels just like the real world except maybe a little bit brighter. Sometimes it is so realistic that dreamers think they are awake. They rarely remember when they do wake up. It is usually just a hazy half thought that quickly fades away.

I’ve been to the dreamworld more times than I can count. Since I was a kid I could always remember my dreams. But unlike most people I never got to choose my dreams. I know people think they don’t pick their dreams, especially when they have nightmares, but in a subconscious way they do. Whether it’s a memory or a fear or a wish, a dream is created by the person sleeping.

I am different though. I am what some people would call a Dreamwalker. When I fall asleep I don’t create my own wonderland or nightmare. I am pulled into someone else’s dream. I don’t do it by choice. I’ve always been this way. I don’t do rituals or sweat in a lodge to induce visions. I simply fall asleep and find myself in the Dreamworld.

I know I’m dreaming but I also know what I’m experiencing is real too. I can talk to and interact with the dreamer. I also remember everything when I awake. When I wake up I am usually rested but sometimes I grow tired again quickly. That seems to be the only drawback to my “gift.” People in the real world, my family included, don’t understand and have written me off as an insomniac. Everyone except my sister. I don’t know if she truly believes me but she is the most understanding person in my life.

I have accepted my fate in life. I will forever be tired and misunderstood. Left to live two different lifes, both alone and incomplete.