Chapter One:Reaping Day

Life in District Four wasn't as hard as it could be, it's wasn't as hard as life in places like Eleven or Twelve but wasn't as easy as life in One or Two, life in Four was just good

The early morning sun shone down on Reef as she stood a few feet away from her home on the small dock leading out into the ocean, Reef stood with a trident in hand twirling it around like a staff, this was something that calmed Reef when things got hard the motion of the trident and the wind making her feel one with the world around her, the salty sea air calming her ever racing mind.

Reef had a valid reason to be nervous today, today was the reaping she wasn't nervous for herself however she was worried for her brother Dylan as this may be only his second Reaping but that didn't make his fate any less certain, her other siblings still had a few more years before they would be eligible for the Reaping and that was something that calmed her mind a little.

Reef was never worried for herself if it happened it happened she's sixteen she can handle whatever comes her way but Dylan is just a kid.

Footsteps approach the dock the mysterious person's feet stepping on fallen leaves as get closer.

"You know, one day you're going to lose an eye, toe, or finger doing that"The voice of Dylan calls out pulling Reef from her thoughts.

Reef laughs before turning to look at her younger brother, butter covering the corners of his mouth most likely from just having breakfast. "You don't have to worry about me Dyl, I know what I'm doing,"Reef tells her younger brother honestly.

The Thirteen-year-old looks up at his older sister, his matching sea-blue eyes twinkling with mischief. "Really? I've seen you talking to that thing"Dylan tells her.

Reef laughs out loud, she remembers when that happened Reef had fallen and hit her head on the dock while out fishing with her dad and his fisherman crew and the then Thirteen-year-old Reef had a very bad concussion.

"That was years ago and I had a head injury"Reef reminds her brother with a smile.

"I'm still right tho, Mama wants you inside for breakfast we have to leave for the square in an hour,"Dylan tells his sister choosing to change the topic.

Reef gives her brother a smile before walking over to him, the two siblings walk side by side up the path toward their small home, the Murphy family live a quiet life, before he died Nile Murphy was the captain of a fishing crew that caught the fish to supple to both the Capitol and members of Four, her mother Aqua Murphy runs a stall at the local market selling the fish and fish hooks made by the children.

The only difference now is that Reef is the main supplier for the family, still working for her father's crew it was just now run by her father's long-time friend.

As the duo approached the house they could hear laughter coming from inside, the giggles from the youngest Murphy children engulfed the entire area, Reef placed her trident inside a small built-in stand on the home and then opened the door for her younger brother and allowed him to step inside first.