Past Lives 🕰️

Warnings: childbirth, divided by class, death, mention of pneumonia, mention of pregnancy, english is not my first language and I apologize for any mistakes

Word count: 11k

1896

Third Person's POV

A loud cry emerges from the small baby that is being held up by the midwife to the newly made mother in the huge queen size bed. Tears of joy flowing down her cheeks when she holds her baby for the first time. "I will let your husband know," the midwife says in a thick french accent and leaves the woman's chambers before shortly returning with the woman's husband. The man smiles at his wife and slowly and carefully sits down on the edge of the bed. Lifting up his hand, he traces the tiny face of his child with a finger. Being able to tear his eyes off the baby, he looks at his wife and leans down to gently press a kiss on her lips.

Pulling away from the kiss, the man wipes away his wife's tears before looking back at his child in her arms. "Is it a girl?" Still overflowing with joy, the woman can only nod but manages to say a quiet, "yes..."

Her husband chuckles delightedly and presses another kiss to his wife's cheek. "She's so perfect. What name have you thought of, love?" The young woman looks down at her beautiful daughter who is sleeping peacefully in her arms. "I want to name her Lilith."

1902

Lilith is running around her parent's huge backyard and chases butterflies while the already setting spring sun is caressing her skin. Lilith is a happy little girl. Her parents have a huge residence in the outskirts of Boston. She has her own nanny and a cook always serves them the best meals. But most importantly, the house has a big backyard with enough space for Lilith to tire herself out every day. "Miss Lilith, your mother awaits you," her nanny shouts for her to hear at the far end of the yard. Lilith happily runs to the door and is eager to go to her mother, when she is being pulled back by the nanny who takes out a tissue and wipes the white shoes Lilith is wearing. Or well... brown-white shoes from how dirty she made them in the last couple of minutes. "Your shoes are all dirty Miss Lilith," the nanny, Miss Astor, mutters under her breath but it's still heard by Lilith's mother. "It's okay Miss Astor. Please tell the cook to start preparing dinner." With a quick curtsey, Miss Astor rushes out of the room and down to the kitchen. "I am sorry about the shoes, mama," Lilith shyly speaks in a very quiet voice. Smiling softly at her daughter, Lilith's mother shakes her head and kneels down to be at her daughter's level. Gently placing her hands on her shoulder, Lilith dears herself to look into her mother's eyes. That show nothing but kindness and care.

"Do not worry about the shoes, sweetheart. They're just shoes, it's more important to me that you had fun playing outside." Finally, a huge smile breaks out on Lilith's face and she eagerly wraps her arms around her mother's neck and pulls her tight to her small body. "Thank you! I love you." Chuckling, Lilith's mother presses a gentle kiss on Lilith's soft cheek and moves some of her hair out of her face. "I love you, too, Lily. But please stay inside now, the sun is already setting and dinner is soon."

1908

The eleven-year-old Lilith comes rushing down the stairs in the early hours of the day. Her maid has already washed and dressed her so she's ready to join her parents at breakfast. Her father is sitting on one end of the long table, her mother on the other end. Her father is reading a newspaper while a maid is refilling his tea mug. His wife is silently eating her fruits while reading a new novel she is reading with the other noble women of the town. Lilith's family definitely is part of the noble class in the state of Massachusetts. And her father always makes sure to tell her to stay away from people of belower classes. Especially boys. Folding his newspaper by the sound of the floor creaking beneath Lilith's steps, Mr. Mellon looks at his daughter with a smile. "Good morning, Lilith. Come give your father a kiss." Like every fine family, it is appropriate for the daughter to greet both of the parents with a kiss on their cheeks. If the Mellons were to have a son, he'd have to also shake the father's hand.