Six

"Do you know where like, an engineering bay would be, by any chance?" Maddie sat on the bed trying to think of any possible way they could restore power to the ship.

Zoey shook her head and frowned. "No, actually. I...haven't really explored too much. I've mostly stayed in this area of the ship."

"That's fine, that's fine!" Maddie hoped she sounded positive enough, but she was certain Zoey could see through it. If anyone was going to catch onto Maddie's bullshit, it would be her. "Hey, you aren't alone anymore, so maybe it won't be as scary if we go together, right?"

"Yeah, that's kind of what I was thinking." Zoey nodded with a slight smile. "I don't wanna be alone in the dark...you know how it is."

Maddie chuckled a little. "More than anyone, yeah. So maybe we can venture out and go try to find some way to get the power back. After that, we can mess with communications and see what we can do."

"Hell yeah." Zoey held out her fist, much like Maddie always did with Chloe, and the thought of that sort of hurt.

She didn't wanna leave her hanging, especially seeing as how she probably didn't mean to do it, so she gave her a fist bump and said "hell yeah. So, when should we head out?"

Zoey shrugged and glanced out the small window in the room. Only a handfull of dim stars were visible within the endless void of darkness. "I don't know. We can go now, if you're up for it."

Maddie nodded and smiled. "I'm totally down." She stood up from the bed as Zoey got off the chair. 

Grabbing the lantern from the small desk, she went to the door and opened it the rest of the way. Maddie followed her into the hallway, but instead of turning right to go to the kitchen, Zoey turned left. Talking over her shoulder while they walk, Zoey said "I mentioned I haven't explored much of the ship, but I know there's a crossroads thing here somewhere, so that might lead us somewhere important."

Maddie nodded and said "maybe so. I noticed another hallway from the kitchen area, but I didn't see where it said it led to."

Zoey turned and slowed down for a second so they were now walking side-by-side, their footsteps sounding identical. "Oh, the one that's like, straight ahead when you're coming from the printer things?" Maddie answered with a nod, so Zoey continued. "Yeah, I think that one just leads to some more common areas. I know there's a rec room somewhere with a pool table and a TV and stuff, so it might lead to that."

Maddie nodded again. "Ahh, that sounds cool. Maybe once we get the power back on, I can kick your ass at pool." She was sure Zoey could tell she was just trying to lighten the mood, but she went along with it anyway.

"Nah," she said with a laugh. "I think we'd be pretty evenly matched, until I start kicking YOUR ass."

Maddie nudged Zoey's arm, smiling. "Guess we got a score to settle, then." They reached the end of the hallway, coming up to three doors: one to the left, one to the right, and one going straight ahead. The door on the left had a sign beside it that said "storage and receiving." The sign by the center door said "medical bay and captain's quarter's", and the sign by the door on the right said "maintenance and security." 

They both read the signs, and then agreed to go into the door on the right, which led them to an industrial looking hallway, completely switching up the vibe from the other part of the ship. The floor looked like unfinished concrete, and the walls looked like large bricks that had been painted white. The ceiling was lined with a large amount of various pipes and cables, giving the entire place a "you shouldn't be here" sort of feeling. Despite the light from Zoey's lantern, it was still pretty dark, the glow only reaching about twenty feet ahead of them.