Lilith reached out, her fingers tracing the outline of his jaw. "It's not your fault, Ryle. You can't control these things."

She snuggled closer, her head resting comfortably on his chest. "Besides, all that matters is that you're okay."

A silence descended, broken only by the soft purring of Lucy and the rhythmic beating of Ryle's heart against Lilith's ear. After a while, Ryle spoke, his voice barely a whisper.

"Lily?"

She hummed in response, her eyes closed.

"What do you look like?"

The question hung in the air, a stark reminder of the reality he now faced. Lilith smiled softly, her heart swelling with a fierce love for this man who dared to ask such a vulnerable question.

"Well," she began, choosing her words carefully, "I'm not extraordinary, in the Hollywood sense."

She described her features one by one – her green almond eyes, her dull straight black hair. As she spoke, Ryle reached out, a faint smile playing on his lips, and brushed his thumb across her cheek, his touch a warm caress.

There were no practice shapes that night. Instead, they talked. Ryle, feeling emotionally drained from the events of the evening, decided to postpone the exercise. He laid down next to Lilith, a pack of ice on his eyes. He steered the conversation towards Lilith's past.

"Tell me about your parents," Ryle requested softly, his fingers idly twirling a strand of her hair.

Lilith paused, a wave of bittersweet memories washing over her. "They were... amazing," she began, her voice filled with a tinge of nostalgia. "They were both artists – my dad taught architecture at university, my mom taught painting. Our house was always filled with colors and weird textures. They encouraged me to be creative, to explore my passions."

She went on to share a cherished memory, a picnic by the lake where her father taught her to identify constellations by touch, describing the shapes and stories associated with each. The memory ended on a poignant note, a flicker of sadness creeping into her voice as she spoke about how she shut everyone out after their tragic accident. She confessed how studying in America had been a form of escape, a way to bury her grief.

Ryle listened intently, his silence a form of support. "What about relationships?" he asked gently.

Lilith hesitated for a moment before speaking. "There was Daniel," she admitted. "We met at school, and for a while, it felt... perfect. But then..." She trailed off, her voice thick with emotion. "He cheated."

A low growl rumbled in Ryle's chest. "Idiot," he muttered, his voice laced with a protective anger. "His loss, clearly."

Lilith chuckled softly at his protectiveness. "Probably," she agreed.

They continued talking, the conversation meandering through their past loves and regrets. Ryle, captivated by her voice, played with a strand of her hair absentmindedly. The tension from earlier had eased, replaced by a comfortable intimacy.

"Music," Lilith declared, a playful glint in her eyes. "Tell me, what song do you think embodies you?"

Ryle pondered for a moment, a contemplative frown creasing his forehead. He reached for his phone and, with practiced ease, navigated the music app.

A slow, melancholic melody filled the room. The lyrics, sung in a distorted reverb, spoke of missed opportunities and paths not taken.

"Feels Like We Only Go Backwards," Ryle explained when the song ended. "Especially the part about having hopes and then..." he trailed off, his voice laced with a hint of bitterness.

Lilith reached out and squeezed his hand. "We don't only go backwards, Ryle," she said gently. "Sometimes we take detours, unexpected turns. But those experiences, good or bad, shape who we are."

As she spoke, a song of her own choice filled the air. The lyrics, raw and emotional, spoke of confronting one's past and embracing the unknown future.

"Roads Untraveled," Ryle murmured, recognizing the song by Linkin Park. "Interesting choice."

Lilith smiled. "It reminds me that life is a journey, Ryle. We may not know what's around the next bend, but that's the beauty of it. We have the chance to explore, to discover new things about ourselves and the world."

Ryle chuckled. "Right, because who doesn't love a good detour into permanent darkness? Maybe the next song should be 'Hello Darkness, My Old Friend'."

Lilith swatted his arm playfully, a smile tugging at her lips.  "Don't be such a drama king, Ryle."

Lucy, nestled comfortably between them, purred her agreement. In the quiet intimacy of the penthouse, surrounded by music and the soft hum of the city, Lilith and Ryle found solace in each other's company. The future remained uncertain, but as long as they had each other, they were ready to face it, hand in hand, song by song.

Chaos Palette On viuen les histories. Descobreix ara