Chapter 1 - A chance meeting

Começar do início

"Nothing..........."

"d'Artagnan........?"

"They took everything from me too............"

The deep breath leaving her, as she heard four voices speaking French; that at least clearing up one question in her mind. The fact that they were her countrymen meant that she really did have to do something. Now determined that she would not stand by while these accursed Spaniards did whatever they had in mind, to these men of France. Her form moving steadily, carefully around the building until she got to what must have been an old door. Dropping to her hands and knees before crawling to the man nearest her.

                                                           >>----------------------------------<<

"So, what do we do now........?" d'Artagnan asked, as he looked between the others. His eyes finally focusing on Athos, whom he was sure was somehow blaming themselves for being captured. Athos, who already seemed to carry the weight of the world on his shoulders, always appeared more than happy to blame himself when things didn't go as planned. And d'Artagnan had to admit that for him, Aramis, Porthos and Athos, things did not seem to go to plan, too often.

It had been a pretty simple task that they had been given; none of them really thinking about the order to escort a lady to the port of Calaise. Yet obviously there must have been more than it appeared; or perhaps the Spaniards had been given the wrong information, because on the way back to Paris, they had been ambushed, by the ten men that were still with them, and ten more, that had parted ways with them before that had got to the old building. The Musketeers doing all they could to defeat their enemies; but finally finding themselves overrun. And now, here they were, bound and chained; their weapons taken. Though no questions had been asked of them........well, not as of yet anyway.

"Er............" Porthos suddenly said; the others turning toward the big man, whose eyes looked like they were going to pop out of his head.

"I don't want to worry you boys. But there is something crawling up my arm............."

"Shhhhh. Be quiet. Do you want them to hear.............." Another voice interrupted. Athos, Aramis and d'Artagnan shifting, as they finally saw a dark clad figure just behind Porthos.

"They may be drunk and loud, but that doesn't mean that one of them won't look over. So just act normally, while I try and release you." The voice continued. None of the boys able to place the tone. None of them sure whom they might find under the hood. But if they were going to help them.............

"The lock is not a good one. I should be able to pick it. I hope one of you can fight. If we are going to get you away from them, it is going to take more than me. Even in their current state............." The Musketeers looking at one another and trying not to laugh. It not their saviour's fault that they were not aware of whom they were helping.

"We can; but we will need weapons............." Athos replied quietly, as he turned his gaze to the happily talking soldiers.

"I have my own sword, and two more. That, and two muskets and a couple of daggers. Admittedly the muskets will only have one shot each; but it is better than nothing...........there.........." The figure continued, sounding rather pleased with themselves, as the locks holding Porthos wrists, finally clicked open. The big man rubbing his reddened flesh and smiling broadly, as the person moved on to release d'Artagnan.

"The weapons................?"

"They are on the other side of the wall. If you can crawl out, you will find them not far from the doorway........" Porthos nodding at the words and keeping himself as low to the ground as he could.