[1.12] Heavy Lies & Heaving Cries

AT LEAST AN HOUR AND A HALF had passed since Nancy and Jonathon's argument

       AT LEAST AN HOUR AND A HALF had passed since Nancy and Jonathon's argument. Now the sky was painted black with a canopy of stars whispering among the nightly wind.

Valentina's high came down and she was now terrifyingly aware of the dangers she had put herself in. If she'd been in the correct state of mind initially, there was a very low chance that she would've actually gone through with this plan.

The blonde walked in the middle, between the other two teenagers, putting as much space between the suffocating tension in the air that she could. But no blade was sharp enough to slice the walls that the two insecure teens had put up, not even the silver glint of the axe hanging by Valentina's gray jeans.

A whimper of some sort rang eerily through the group's ears suddenly, the only sound they'd heard in a while besides their own heavy breaths and the crunch of fallen leaves under their aching, but determined, feet.

"Did you hear that?" Valentina whispered, only gathering a response from the other girl, who stopped walking to focus.

Jonathon paused a few feet ahead when he realized the girls weren't following, sighing as he waited for them to finish whatever they were whispering about.

It was clear he was still ticked off by the entirety of his and Nancy's last conversation, but at least the girl was willing to open her doors for her blonde companion as the girls stood side-by-side, searching for where the pained cries were coming from.

"It's coming from over there," Nancy pointed with her flashlight, one that she'd stored in her bag like Jonathon also had, making Valentina, once again, feel unprepared as she walked in the darkness between their glowing beams of light.

The three made their way closer to the source of the noise with caution, glancing in every direction to ensure nothing was lurking in the shadows of the night.

"Oh, God.." Nancy gasped, grabbing the arm of Valentina who'd been checking behind them while they walked.

She turned her head and tried to hide the hurl of disgust that formed in her throat at the sight of the torn up deer. Its skin was shredded and caked with glistening blood. Its cries were higher pitched than the soft ones that came from the brunette who crouched down, getting a better look at the injured animal that pleaded with its finders for help.

Valentina felt nauseous as she stood with the whimpering deer laying helplessly on the ground by their feet. She hoped it hadn't been there long due to the blood that appeared to be still wet, but she really didn't want to think about the liquid that seeped steadily out of its dying body altogether.

"It's been hit by a car," Nancy sighed in conclusion. Jonathon crouched down beside her, leaving Valentina to stand unprotected behind them.

She really wished that nothing had happened at all, but in this scenario, the blonde could only hope that Nancy was right. Heavy lies the fear of a darker reasoning behind the damage of the animal.