"And you," said Maplepaw. "How is everyone else? The medicine den was empty."

"Yours was the most serious injury. Cloudstep treated the others in the apprentice den to give you space. Yellowstar was hurt pretty bad, but she's alright now. And--"

"Wrencatcher?"

A purr rumbled in Bloompaw's chest. "Oh, he's fine, I think. He was asking about you all night."

Maplepaw looked down at her paws, pelt hot. She hadn't seen him in the clearing. She glanced around; a lot of cats were missing...

"Border patrol," Bloompaw explained, watching Maplepaw's gaze. "After BlackClan retreated, Yellowstar ordered patrols to remark the whole BlackClan boundary."

"How did it end?" How much did I miss?

"Yellowstar," said Bloompaw, her eyes wide with awe. "I wish you could've seen it. She saved you! Well, I guess you know that. She practically flayed Scratchstar's pelt right off. He ran screaming into the woods! He didn't even call a retreat. The other cats just fled after him." Bloompaw's claws curled into the grass. "I know we lost so many cats. And I know I'm not meant to be glad when other cats die but, well." She snarled. "We killed a lot of BlackClan cats, too."

Maplepaw sighed heavily. She wasn't glad. This fight never should have happened. "I need to speak to Yellowstar."

Thrushflight's eyes widened in surprise. "Why?"

"I'll tell you later."

Maplepaw leapt up Highledge and waited at the entrance.

"Yellowstar?"

"Enter."

She pushed through the mossy entrance, suddenly nervous. Yellowstar sat grooming her pelt, a worried look in her eyes.

"Maplepaw, good. I was just going to find you."

"I need to tell you something."

"Oh?" She paused mid-lick and tilted her head. "Go ahead."

"When Scratchstar had me pinned down, he revealed something. He said he attacked us because StarClan refused to give him nine lives, and he blamed FireClan for Weaselclaw stepping down." And me in particular. "Actually--he blamed me. I knew about the couple and I didn't say anything."

"It's not your fault," said Yellowstar. "I knew about them, too. No one forced Weaselclaw to abandon her Clan. You might have noticed Sunsplash wasn't in the battle. I let him visit his mate yesterday, and after tonight, I don't expect him to return, even with his brother dead." A growl rumbled in the leader's chest. "I should have known Scratchstar would try something like this." For the first time, Maplepaw realized how exhausted she looked. When she'd last seen the leader, blood had been pouring from a wound in her belly. But now her belly looked normal, except for a long scar.

The elegant yellow she-cat noticed her staring. "Yes," she said. "I lost a life in the battle."

"You--" Maplepaw gasped.

"It's not for the Clan to know. They'll only worry." She lashed her tail. "BlackClan will pay for this. Thank you for your honesty, Maplepaw. Now there's something I need to tell you."

***

Maplepaw stared up at Highledge, her eyes wide. She couldn't believe what was happening.

"FireClan fought bravely last night," Yellowstar yowled. "No one cat is responsible for our victory; it was our combined courage that saw us through." Cats yowled agreement. "But one cat in particular showed incredible courage last night. Maplepaw, step forward."