Chapter 2- Lion without crown

Rhaenyra slowly walks into Valyrian altar. The dark room is illuminated by the lit candles standing on a round table, illuminating the massive stickiness of the dragon. She sees her father waiting for her by the black skull of Balerion.

"Father?" whispers Rhaenyra angrily and slowly walks over to him.

"You haven't spoken to me or Aelynor since mother's funeral, and then you send me your Kingsguard to collect me? Where is Aelynor? Why she's not here as well?" Nyra snaps at King Nyra, but he continues to ignore her and just stares in silence as the candlelight illuminates the skull of his deceased dragon.

"Balerion was the last living creature to have seen Old Valyria before the Doom...Its the greatness and its flaws..." Viserys starts talking out of turn.

"What?" Rhaenyra asks in amazement, furrowing her brow.

"Answer me. It's important. What do you see?" The King asked, looking comically at his older daughter.

"I suppose...i see us." Rhaenyra replies in annoyance, looking at Balerion in front of her.

"Tell me." Viserys asks urgently.

"Everyone says Targeryens are closer to gods than to men. But they say that because of our dragons, without them, we're just like everyone else." Rhaenyra replies.

Viserys looks astonished at Nyra's conclusion.
"The idea that we control dragons is an illusion. They are a power that man should never have messed with - a force that brought about Valyria's doom. And if we ignore our own history, it will do the same to us." Viserys said, looking intently at his daughter.

Rhaenyra looked at him confused, not understanding what he meant or knowing at all except not wanting to admit it.

"A Targaryen must understand this to become king... or queen..."

"I'm sorry, Rhaena... I've wasted the years since you and Aelynor were born wanting a son..." He tried to overcome the strong emotions that were slowly clouding his brain and creating tears in his eyes. "You are the very best best of your mother. I believe, as i know she did, that you could be a great ruling queen."

"Daemon is your heir and what about Aelynor? She's your daughter too..." whispered Rhaenyra. She hated to hear that her father was overshadowing her twin sister.

"Neither Daemon nor Aelynor were made to wear the crown. But I believe you were." Viserys said as he walked over to Rhaenyra. She had tears in her eyes, unwilling to admit that her father could abandon his other daughter and brother like this.

                                                                           —

As usual, the small council chamber was full of lords awaiting the king's final decision on his successor.

Aelynor poured wine into the goblets of the older men and listened as they whispered to each other and guessed who Viserys had chosen.

Some wanted it to be Prince Daemon, some lords whispered the name of her sister, but a few lords hoped it would be her who would sit on the Iron Throne.

She walked over to Tyland Lannister and slowly poured red wine into his glass. It was hard not to notice how his lustful eyes lined her yellow dress. She just smiled and walked over to the next man, but that's when the king stood up and stopped her.

"That's enough, Aelynor," Viserys shouted at her and the young princess slowly walked over to the cup bearing table.

After a moment of silence, the door opened and Rhaenyra entered the room, walked slowly to her father and stood beside him. The king just smiled and looked around the room.