The Breathing mountain

Start from the beginning

Gathering our courage, we ventured forth, illuminating the abyss with our lights. To our astonishment, the air within was strangely warm, prompting us to shed our winter clothing, an anomaly that heightened our sense of wonder. Tony, ever the documentarian, began recording our descent while Arthi described the surreal cave that enveloped us. As we advanced, warm currents of air brushed against our skin, creating an eerie sensation that the mountain itself was breathing, as if alive with ancient secrets. The cave walls took on a surreal, mirror-like quality, transforming the passage into a seemingly endless hallway adorned with reflections of ourselves that stretched into infinity. The play of light and reflection, an exquisite dance of beams, mesmerized us, drawing us further into the enigma.

In a moment of foresight, Tony tied a small ribbon to a stone, a thread connecting us to the outside world in case we were separated within this ethereal labyrinth. Time itself lost its grasp on us, and our electronics rebelled against the mysteries surrounding us. Watches ceased their ticking, smartphones lay dormant, and even the cameras refused to awaken. Frustrating as it was, we resolved to continue, fully aware that the answers we sought lay deeper within the heart of the cave. Deeper and deeper we ventured into the mountain's unfathomable depths, the passage before us stretching into infinity. The mirrored walls that surrounded us seemed to taunt our senses, distorting our perception of reality. The path twisted and turned, splitting and rejoining like an intricate labyrinth, teasing us with a false sense of progress. We made camp whenever fatigue overcame us, wary of preserving our meager supplies in this endless maze.

As we stirred from our rest, the air filled with Arthi's urgent cries. She insisted that she had glimpsed Arjun further down one of the paths, her voice trembling with a mix of hope and desperation. Tony, engrossed in packing up the camp, barely paid attention to her claims, assuming it was yet another illusion conjured by the eerie surroundings. We pursued Arjun's phantom, calling out to him with every step. But no response came. With a heavy heart, we retraced our steps back to the campsite, only to be met with an astonishing sight—the camp had vanished without a trace. Panic surged through our veins, and we scoured the surroundings in frantic desperation, yelling for Tony, hoping for a reassuring reply that never came. The deafening silence that enveloped us felt like an ominous shroud, leaving us cold and disoriented in this bewildering abyss.

Questions plagued our minds, a chorus of confusion and fear echoing through our thoughts. Had Tony ventured back on his own? Why would he leave us behind? Something must have happened, I pondered, rejecting the idea of his abandonment as outlandish. However, our current predicament left us without provisions, surviving on a single torch and a few meager pieces of candy Arthi had kept with her. We made the agonizing decision to retrace our steps toward the entrance, hoping to find a way out of the bewildering cave. As we advanced, the once-static walls took on an ethereal dance, shimmering with an array of enchanting colors. The mountain itself seemed to respond, as if it were a living entity, its breath growing heavier and more palpable.

Anxiety gripping my heart, I turned to Arthi, seeking comfort in our shared experience. But to my dismay, she was gone, vanished into thin air without a trace. "Arthi! Arthi!" I called out frantically, my voice echoing through the disorienting passage. There was no response, only the oppressive silence that swallowed my cries. Desperation surged within me, bewildered by the inexplicable disappearances. My mind was a whirlwind of questions, grappling with the unfathomable reality of people vanishing within this treacherous maze. I couldn't comprehend how they could just vanish without a trace, leaving me alone in this nightmarish labyrinth. At my breaking point, I ran with reckless abandon, seeking any sign of an exit. Tony's marker gave me temporary reassurance, convincing me that I was on the right path. But my relief was short-lived, for soon after passing the marker, I found myself running past it again, trapped in an endless loop of confusion.