𝟏 ... we're all unhinged

Start from the beginning

"Stay away for at least a year and we'll see." Marks offers me a genuine smile before shooing me away. "Now, scram. And stay out of trouble."

"No promises!" I call over my shoulder as I exit the hospital room.

After checking myself out, I make my way down to the parking garage where my ride is waiting for me. The air that blows through the garage is warm for October, and a smile graces my face as I head toward the familiar car.

"I survived," I declare as I slide into the passenger seat.

Sydney, my best friend since childhood, immediately chuckles, tucking her blonde hair behind her ear. "Let's see it."

"I want to see too!" My fourteen year year old brother Mason chirps from the backseat.

I turn my head so they can both see, grinning when Mason's eyes widen and he reaches out to poke my healing wound. "Does it hurt?"

"Nope." I turn back around in my seat. "It should fade into a scar soon enough."

"You're collecting scars like trophies," Sydney chuckles as she starts the engine and pulls out of her parking spot.

"That just means I'm living my best life." I grin at her before turning slightly to look at my brother again. "How are you doing, little man?"

"I'm taller than you," Mason grumbles, settling back into his seat. "You need to stop calling me that."

Of my five siblings, I joke that Mason is my sidekick. He is always the first to agree to go on a hike with me, and whenever he hears that I have errands to run, he volunteers to come and keep me company. Even if I have an appointment, he will come and sit in the waiting room until I am done. Today was no different; when he found out that Sydney was taking me to get my stitches out, he immediately declared that he was coming.

If any of my other siblings insisted on following me around like a puppy, I would probably strangle them, but a lot of the time I don't even notice Mason is with me. He is a quiet kid, content to simply be in my company, and I enjoy having him tag along.

"You'll always be my little man." I wink cheekily at him before spinning back around in time for the sun to kiss my face as we exit the garage. "Thanks for driving, Syd."

"I'd be lying if I said that I didn't come for the hot server in the cafe." Sydney shrugs, shooting me a quick smile. "That drink is for you, by the way."

"Thanks." I pick up the drink from the cupholder, pleased to find that the coffee is still hot.

"Can we stop at In-N-Out?" Mason interjects from the backseat. "Since I am such a supportive brother and I kept Syd company?"

Syd chuckles, focusing on the road as she gets on the highway. "You spent at least ten minutes explaining the rules of Fortnite to me."

"And were you not thoroughly entertained?" Mason drawls before settling his gaze on me. "Please, Logan?"

"Text our group chat and see what everyone else wants." I sip my coffee, hiding my grin behind my cup when Mason rapidly whips out his phone to text the rest of our siblings. "You staying for dinner?" I direct my question to the blonde beside me.