Sixteen

Lakyn's POV

The wind kisses my face gently as we all sit on park benches near the apartment.

There's a little park area a block down from the apartment, which is typically where we all meet up sometimes to do homework, play spike ball, and just chat.

I miss when the days were more simple like that. I mean we get about a month of our first semester at college, then ghost face comes back.

Ethan shifts uncomfortably next to me, we ended up napping before we all met up here, and he tends to wake up with a migraine if he doesn't take his sumatriptan.

I told him to take it, but he insisted it would be fine.

Mindy sits across from us on a park bench with Sam, Tara and Chad on the bench directly beside us.

"Okay losers." Mindy sighs, patting Sam on the shoulders, "who do we think it is."

"Why would you ask us that." Chad shoots his sister a confused gaze.

"Is this actually what we came here for?" Sam sighs, "we don't know anything. Discussing it won't help."

"I think Jackson or Riggs might actually have something to do with it." Tara shrugs.

"What?" Mindy exclaims, genuinely surprised, "why would they have anything to do with us."

"I mean, from what Chad told me, Jackson was acting suspicious as fuck when the whole high school situation got brought up." She shrugs.

"If you'd have met him, you'd understand that he just has a super low IQ." Mindy fires back, "dude probably couldn't remember the name of his high school."

Chad nudges Tara, "you know, that's true. He was pretty stupid."

"I'm just saying it was weird." Tara locks eyes with me, "don't trust anyone, remember?"

"She's got a point." I shrug, "couldn't hurt to keep an eye on him."

"I would rather die than be around him again." Ethan scoffs, rolling his eyes at the thought.

"Oh you guys are so dramatic." Sam fires back at him, but I place a hand on his thigh reassuringly.

"Dude," Chad laughs, "he talked for a minute straight about how badly he wanted to fuck Lakyn, right in front of Ethan."

I cringe.

"Don't bring it up man!" Ethan exclaims, "don't bring it up."

Chad raises his hands in surrender, and we all share a laugh together as I lean my head onto Ethan's shoulder. I feel him squeeze me a little tighter with his arm that was strung over my shoulders.

"I guess I could try to keep an eye on him." Mindy cuts in with an eye roll, "he's in the same film class that I am after all."

We're all in that class besides Ethan and Sam, but Mindy has a bit of a main character complex, so she tends to forget that.

"Well, me too..." Tara pauses, "but I couldn't be bothered."

"Yeah of course not." Mindy sneers, before flashing a smile in Tara's direction.

"Okay. Then there's that." Sam leans back on the park bench, "what else."