Nine.

Ethan

The sun was shining through the sheer curtains strung above Lakyn's window, casting it's golden rays directly onto my face; I rub my eyes, adjusting to the morning illumination in her room.

Except upon opening my eyes, I realize it wasn't morning. Her bedroom light was just on. I turn my head groggily, looking over at the alarm clock on her nightstand. The clock read 2:40 am, which woke me up almost instantly. Something is wrong, why is the light on, and why have I woken up? I'm a very heavy sleeper, and typically I only wake up when provoked.

I hear the sound of soft snoring beside me, and then become aware of the weight on my chest, tilting my head downwards slightly and noticing my girlfriend sleeping soundly on top of me, her brown hair and bangs awry as she breathes slowly.

My heart drops, she looks completely un disturbed, which isn't the problem; the problem is the fact that I hadn't turned on the light, and clearly neither has she. So there's only two plausible explanations.

One, Sam or Tara came in here to get something and forgot to turn the light off, but I doubt that because they don't usually disrupt each other, and they wouldn't ruin her sleep after what happened to her. Or two, someone was fucking with us.

Oddly, I don't feel the same terror that was constricting my breathing like when Lakyn ran off. This is likely because I'm right beside her in her bed, plus the fact that she's fine and at peace in my arms, sleeping. I do however, feel extremely irritated, and angry. I'm sick of Lakyn and her sisters being stalked, and fucked with like pawns in some sick board game.

I sit there, silently for a bit, waiting. The silence in the room was palpable. Shifting my gaze from Lakyn, to the surrounding objects in her bedroom. Still nothing.

Sighing, I get up from the bed. Lakyn stirs in her sleep, opening her eyes just barely, locking her gaze on me.

"Whatcha doing baby?" She mumbles, groaning as she begins pulling the comforter up to her chin and snuggling into it. She is so fucking adorable, I just can't help but take a step back towards the bed, leaning down and pressing a kiss to her forehead.

"Just shutting off the light." I whisper, before making my way to the light switch and flicking it off.

As I approach the bed, she lifts the comforter up with her arm, welcoming me back to my rightful spot beside her. She turns on her side, and I lay down pressing my chest against her back, wrapping my arms around her waist to spoon her. I lay there for a few minutes, my arm draped over her body, and my head resting on top of her shoulder, inhaling her scent. Despite her silence, I noticed that her breathing didn't slow down again, instead it got faster.

"Lay?" I whisper into her ear, pressing a kiss to her neck, "what's the matter, I know you're awake."

"Did you turn the light on?" She asks me, and I hear her breath catch.

"Nope," I mumble into her skin, "I thought maybe Tara or Sam needed something so they forgot to turn it off."

"No, they would've waited until morning for that," she inhales shakily, before whispering, "do you think someones in here?"

"No, no Lakyn it's alright." I bring my hand to her side, and rub the skin underneath her shirt there, desperate to soothe her worry, "you can go back to sleep, it's alright."