Chapter 58: A Favor for A Favor

Start from the beginning

"It was fine. Revie was quite the celebrity around and we were stopped for a conversation a couple of times too many," she answered, gesturing at the man who stood behind her.

Emerald let out a small giggle before she spoke, "I see that you brought my little brother as well. He is indeed a well-known figure in the capital, I would suggest you cover his face if you want a peaceful walk," the woman jested, looking at her brother who only scrunched his brows in dissatisfaction.

"I'd consider the suggestion. He's even more popular than I am. It feels as though I'm the one guarding a noble." she snickered which in return earned her another laugh from her knight's older sister.

Avy doubts she could do anything about Clerivan's popularity. Although he was not written in the book enough for the readers to be interested in his achievements, Avy learned a lot by having him around her for months. The man himself did not talk about his life, not even once. However, Mariel did mention that he was more than capable of guarding her.

She heard from her maid that Clerivan was a child prodigy, who, after graduating from the Academy, was bestowed the title of the knight captain at the Arkwright's Knight and Order. He destroyed a number of underground organizations in the capital, most of them in the famous criminal's paradise in Blackwell District. People went as far as comparing him to Marquis Alistair Arkwright, Avy's uncle, who was known to be the devil incarnate, according to the underground criminals who feared him. In that regard, Avy really has no other option than to live with the fact that her knight would be more often recognized by commoners than she would be.

For now, at least.

"Mama!"

Their teasing was cut short when the door to the diner's kitchen opened, the voice of a child echoing through the empty place. The excited little footsteps gave away the identity of the owner as much as the enthusiastic voice did. Kill emerged from the kitchen in his fancy wear, a frilled short-sleeved shirt and jumper shorts. A bright smile was drawn across his lips, reaching the corner of his golden eyes.

"If you fall, I am not picking you up." came another voice accompanying the little boy. Ares strutted after Kill in his usual attire, his hands were buried inside the pockets of his trousers. His unruly hair is as messy as ever.

Avy wondered why his hair never seemed to grow nor did it ever look taken care of. However, Ares did mention that a curse's appearance takes after the image of the curse's experiences unless it is a powerful one, like him. He takes the form of whatever he wishes to be.

"What took you so long? Your kid's been blabbering all morning." Ares followed as Kill made his way towards Avy.

Avy noticed Clerivan shifting on where he stood, still feeling untrusting towards the strange man that the lady had been shielding. His eyes were also observing the movements of the child, although more subtle than he was to Ares.

"I do not blabber," Kill retorted with knitted brows, throwing the curse a dirty look. He was clutching Avy's hand with his.

"You do, too."

"I do not."

Avy let out a small laugh, watching Kill snarl at Ares as if he were ready to pounce on him if given the chance to. This made the child's features soften once again, however, remembering that he was in her presence.

"Shall we go?" she said, looking down at the child who immediately took his attention of Ares to set his eyes on her fully.

"Where are we going, Mama?" he asked curiously. Avy called Emerald that morning, a few hours before she showed up, only telling the older girl to make Kill dress up to go out without actually telling her where they would be going.