Fourteen || Sulfurina-chan

Start from the beginning

"A-Alright. What's going on with the water here!?" Chrome asked fearfully.

"It's got something that was discovered by an alchemist, way back in the 8th century." Senku explained as he softly patted your head to provide some comfort, "But during my time, it served as the foundation for a wide variety of chemical industries."

"Sulfuric Acid." You crossed your arms, hiding your shaking arms, "We can't make the medicine without it and we're gonna need it for all types of chemistry. It's essential for further advancement."

Kohaku scowled, clenching her fist, "We'll have to brute force our way through to gather some. I'm not afraid to risk my life if it'll save my sister's. I should be fast enough!"

Her devotion was genuinely amazing; You were taken aback little.

Simply, Senku shook his head, "Here's a story from back in my day. There was a research group that went to an area of Sulfuric Acid like that one. The man in front knelt down for a moment. That poor guy was dead instantly."

His eyes went blank, revealing how serious he was, which made even Kohaku — one of the strongest females — shudder.

"He'd knelt right into an invincible cloud of Hydrogen Sulfite." You continued to warn, "It sounds crazy but it's true. Humans don't stand a chance when Mother Nature wants us dead. You can be fast, Kohaku, but it won't make a difference."

"So what in the hell are we supposed to do?! I have to save Ruri, no matter what!" Kohaku shouted out.

Both you and Senku exchanged brief glances before beaming.

"There's still a way for us to do this." Senku spoke with calmness, "We'll make gas masks."

"The only way to fight a chemical enemy is by using some chemistry of our own." You smirked smugly, "Interesting, isn't it?"

With that, you all returned to the Kingdom of Science, where Kaseki and the Science Team went to work to create several masks in various sizes.

However, when it came to making yours and Chrome, Senku told Kaseki that it had to wait. He needed to think twice about it while he hoped no one noticed that he whispered such a thing to the old man.

But, you heard it.

So immediately, you grimaced and pulled him away, surprising him.

"Wha-" He was about to argue, but gazing into your eyes, he knew exactly what you were going to say.

Instead of your typical glare, your eyes expressed nothing but a serene stare that made him feel somewhat afraid.

"You want me to stay behind." You began in a tone that was almost whispery.

How could you not be angry? It feels like you've been betrayed right now. You two are like partners in crime; No matter how risky the situation, you two will go wherever adventure leads you. Together!

"Yeah."

However, this time, you were curious.

"Why?"

You took a determined stride forward, hoping he would explain.

"It's the most logical thing to do." Briefly, Senku answered, "There's no telling how effective this gas mask gonna be. With this experiment we can't simply rely on trial and error because you know what it means, right? Error equals deat-"

"Oh, don't give me that bullshit, you damn lettuce head." You scoffed, moving forward one more step till your faces were almost touched with one other.

It surely caused him to lean back slightly, startled.