Fourteen || Sulfurina-chan

Start from the beginning

"WE CAN'T! IT'S JUST TOO-" You let out a gasp, grinning broadly, "TOO FUNNY!"

"AGHHH! YOU ALL ARE HORRIBLE!"

All of a sudden, Senku abruptly touched Ginro's shoulder, causing Ginro to scream loudly once more. That made the three of you — you, Chrome, and Kohaku — wheezed again, leaning on each other for support.

"Hey! What the hell, man?!" Senku scolded, clearly exhausted of dealing with this, "You're holding the sensor, so you need to be in front of us!"

"Well, you told me that I was gonna die!" Ginro shot back, sweating frantically at the thought, "I'm terrified!"

Kohaku laughed a little to calm herself down before smirking, "You wimp. Then switch places with me and hand over the silver spear."

"Not a chance! I'll do it! I-I can be brave too." Like a switch, Ginro hurriedly stopped complaining and stood up straight. Soon, he took the lead in front.

After walking for several hours, you all eventually arrived at your goal — Senku had to be dragged by you since he was dying from exhaustion.

The view in front of you was a massive spring filled with a stunning emerald green liquid that sparkled in the sunlight. 

To put it in one word, it was gorgeous.

Senku tried his best to gasp for air, speaking, "We finally arrived at the source of our most killer component for the drug."

"I don't really understand what it is we're supposed to be gathering here." Kohaku gazed in awe, "But, it does look like a place where you'd find something important."

"It's absolutely beautiful." Chrome murmured, and you could not agree more.

Though you were fascinated that such nature existed, you merely sighed and turned the other way. In the meantime, Senku had a serious expression on his face as he observed the scenery.

"Something wrong, guys? Is this not it or what?" Chrome questioned in concern.

"No, this is it. There's no doubt." Senku briefly responded, "This green water is exactly the stuff we're after. But, the geography bugs me."

"Yeah." You let out a heavy sigh, "The poison gases that form here — Hydrogen Sulfite and Sulfur Dioxide — are heavier than air. They settle in low spots like this one."

Of course, Chrome tilted his head, unsure of what those two are. Fortunately you flash him a slight smile to show that you'll explain what those two are later.

"I get it now! That's what the silver spear is supposed to warn us about." Chrome hummed, clearly understanding.

"Yeah. Silver reacts with hydrogen sulfite. It blackens immediately."

It was then that you noticed, Ginro approached the spring from a distance, apparently hypnotized by its beauty.

You didn't think much of it at first, but your eyes widened the moment his spear's silver turned black.

"Get the FUCK away from there, Ginro!" You yelled harshly.

At that moment, thoughts rushed through your mind as did your body rushed towards Ginro.

You grab him by the collar and toss him towards Kohaku, before you quickly catched up from behind.

You then observed a few birds fly over the spring and die within seconds, their bodies dissolving as they sank to the bottom of the lake after inhaling the gas.

The sight send a shiver down everyone's spines while Ginrou shouted in pure fear.

He was curled up on the ground into a small ball with Kohaku sitting next to him to comfort him. You, on the other hand, could only hide your fear, not wanting to frighten anyone.