Mary hesitated with her reply and it was apparent to Robert that talking about this was not easy for her. She seemed somewhat afraid. What of, he did not know.

Finally, just when he was about to open his mouth and dig deeper, she said: "He agreed to the divorce, Papa."

"So he does know what's good for him," Robert huffed. "What did he say exactly?"

If his reply puzzled her, then she did not let it show. He had never told her that he had gone to Henry's room on Christmas and talked to him. Maybe he should have told her, it could have made for an easier time for her. The week leading up to his and Cora's departure from Yorkshire, though, had proven to be enough of a challenge for him as it was, even without thinking of his daughter's failed marriage, and it had simply slipped his mind.

"That he realised that he behaved childishly, that he should have paid more attention, and that he wasn't a good-enough husband and father."

"And he came to that conclusion after weeks of hiding away in a room why exactly?"

Mary was still avoiding his gaze, refusing to even look in his direction. Instead, she averted her gaze from her mother's hand in hers to focus on her breathing. She hoped that the slow and steady pace at which her mother's chest rose and fell beneath the covers might calm her own quickly beating heart.

"He told me that you had come to talk to him. And that Tom did, as well."

Robert nodded slowly. He should have known Tom would have a say in this as well, it was in his character to try and help wherever he could. It had taken him long enough to realise it, but his son-in-law was a very decent man with good morals, even though his political compass was sometimes a bit impaired. But Tom always acted in the family's best interest without fail.

"Did he tell you about her?" He asked carefully, looking at Mary's downward-facing side profile.

Suddenly, her head swung around and she looked at him wide-eyed and perplexed. "You knew?"

Robert's jaw clenched and he nodded slowly and curtly. His hand finally let go of Cora's and he sat up straighter in his rather uncomfortable chair. For a second he contemplated if he should tell her what he knew or not, but lying would not help anyone in the long run. His lips pursed for a second as he looked at his eldest daughter in the low lighting of the quaint room — his eldest daughter, who looked so much like his darling wife; it astounded him time and time again. His eldest daughter, who was so much like her mother. Beautiful. Strong-willed. Disciplined. Intelligent.

"I did not know for sure. After our family Christmas dinner, I went to his room and spoke to him; I did not think he would tell you. Initially, I only wanted to have a serious talk with him, to maybe sway him in your favour. I had guessed that there must have been something or rather someone that had kept him from coming home all year. When I was about to leave, I decided to ask him flat-out, and he admitted to what I had guessed."

"But why didn't you tell me then, Papa?"

"Because on that night, I gave him a choice. Either he mans up, talks openly and honestly with you, and agrees to the divorce on your terms -"

"Or?"

"Or else we would petition for the divorce either way and make it as public an affair as possible, ruining not only his but also his family's name," Robert stated sternly. His features softened, though, when he looked over at her. His daughter, who was usually standing tall and proud in everything she did, was sitting in the chair all slumped, her shoulders hanging defeatedly. "Mary, it wasn't my place to tell you of his wrongdoings, not yet. I would have told you upon our return had he not."