“I don’t have use for fine gowns, mama,” Sabine sighed. “I will not be subjected to a London season anymore and I spend the rest of my time riding … do you think I might be able to have trousers made?” she asked hopefully, remembering Connor’s remark about riding. She didn’t want to give anyone the opportunity to stare at her legs. After what had happened to Kitty with Sir Walter, she was very cautious.     

Jane frowned as she selected a pale pink gown that was decorated with an extensive amount of expensive white lace. “Whatever do you need trousers for?” she asked.

“Riding,” Sabine replied. “I used to wear them as a child when I rode,” she recalled.

“But you were a child. You’re a lady now – ladies don’t wear trousers. Even working on the farm with grandmamma I still wore dresses.” Jane brought the gown over to Sabine and held it against her. “Yes, you will look lovely in this,” she smiled, satisfied.

“It will just make it easier, mama,” Sabine pressed. “Please. I’ll tailor a pair of papa’s slacks so you don’t even have to pay for them!” she pleaded.

Jane furrowed her brows. “Sabine, money is no issue. It is not the expense that I worry about, it is the propriety. If you wear trousers, every inch of your bottom half is to be on display to the opposite sex. You’ll be on display to Connor, and he’s not a gentleman, he wouldn’t have any qualms with looking!”

“Mama,” Sabine said defensively. “He may not be a gentleman, but it doesn’t mean that he would look at me like that. He stopped a footman from doing so today – a part of my ankle was showing and he stepped in front of me so that the footman could not see it. How can you judge a man by his status anyhow? You were born to a farmer!” she pointed out. She may not have been happy that Connor was doing the job she wanted, by she wouldn’t let him be discredited.

Jane looked apologetic. “I’m thankful for that,” she said sincerely. “And if that footman ever looks at you again, you tell me and he will be terminated immediately. But nevertheless, gentleman or not, Connor is still a man, and men are attracted to beautiful young women like you. I’m afraid trousers are just like a second skin. It is not appropriate, Sabine. It was fine when you were a girl, but you’re not a child anymore. What need have you of them to ride in anyway? I get along just perfectly in a dress.”

What her mother didn’t know was that she was abandoning side saddle … when she was riding alone, anyways. She couldn’t imagine Connor watching her though, he had been the one to intervene, and surely if he were attracted to her he would have just stared also. She was sure he didn’t think of her that way, he most likely found her boring and annoying. “Very well, mama,” Sabine conceded. She surveyed the pretty pink dress and sighed. It did look a little ostentatious, but it was indeed beautiful.

Half an hour later, the Winchester family were downstairs entertaining Mr Percival Rochester. Daniel sat at the head of the table, and Jane sat on his right. Sabine sat on his left and Mr Rochester had been seated beside her.

Mr Rochester was not an ugly man, on the contrary. His hair was dark and neatly trimmed and his eyes were a cool green. He was quite solid and was a similar height to her father, but Sabine could not stand his voice. The way he spoke just made her feel as though he thought he was better than everyone. She despised people like that.