Chapter 2: Bias of two evils.

Start from the beginning

Even if I was just one card, one with vague benefits on top of that, this guy was willing to keep me at his side. Him coming personally must have been a way to ensure I wouldn't go to Ke’heops who I was already somewhat acquainted with.

Well sorry man, I don't like when people's plans actually work out.

I stopped walking, Ra’meth sensed that and stopped as well. He turned to face me, his face trying to appear confused.

“What's wrong?” He asked.

“Yeah, the thing is, I won't be following you anymore.” I smiled at him, the area around us was deserted, which was kinda out of place for a route that led to the house of a Lord magus.

“May I ask why?” He still decided to play his little game, I could tell he's figured me out already.

“I have to check up on a certain kid.”

“That Sha’Tep boy that Ke'heops calls a son?” He spat with venom in his voice, I could see him free up his fingers.

“Yup. You have a problem with that?” I kicked a stone lying near my feet into the distance.

Ra'meth’s face twisted as he began to laugh.
“Of course, what did I expect…?” He said with a laugh.

“You okay man?” He was weirding me out, honestly.

“I planned to at least treat you well, you know? But it seems you're too nosy for your own good.”

He finally revealed his true colors huh.
“You're saying some scary things old man, should I consider that as a threat?”

“Take it as you will, I can't let a wildcard like you roam around freely. Especially not with Ke'heops.” His fingers began to move in weird patterns as he muttered something under his breath, an incantation probably.

“Uh huh….so you have no qualms with killing a guest of your beloved clan prince?”

His palms were now covered in red flames, a reddish orange glow shone on his right forearm, proof that he was channeling ember magic.

“Nobody here actually cares about you, or even about the deceased clan prince. I see no problems with removing you now.”

The flames began to condense in front of him, forming a wildly rotating ball of fiery death.

“Okay, noted. That's some cool fire though, looks like it won't go out by normal means.”

“Hmm? Seems like you know a bit about our arts if you're able to recognise thirstfire. I suppose even this much is enough to awe an outsider.” He spoke with haughtiness permeating every syllable.

“Don't flatter yourself, why would I be impressed by something so basic?” What's this guy going on about?

“Impressive composure in the face of death, but it won't help you. Die.” The compressed and concentrated spell fire shot towards me at speeds equalling that of a bullet.

If this thing hit a regular person, they would be blown to pieces and incinerated at the same moment.

It just disappeared as soon as it touched me though.

“What?” Ra'meth was instantly in shock, probably expecting to smell the scent of burning flesh by now.

“See? Basic.” I patted my clothes which wouldn't be damaged by something like that anyway.

“But…how?” Just like every other member of this arcanocracy, Ra'meth had absolute faith in his magic. An outsider like me taking the attack with no reaction was an unreal experience, it probably felt like a dream.