Chapter 8.

Niall's mind began to drift once more to what his family was doing, father and mother, and most importantly, Liam. It being mid-January, a breeze flew by Niall's outlined shoulders in his tank top.

One of the perks of being a vampire—he didn't get hot or cold.

One of the downsides of being a vampire, he no longer had the control to return to the world that he once knew. Though he knew now he certainly had the strength and speed, two more pros, he knew that this was something he'd have to tell Liam once he finally got the chance to see him again.

"I'll get to see Liam again, won't I?" The blond whispered lowly, knowing that Zayn would hear from his position even a few feet away.

He was looking for comfort to see a boy that he loved from a boy that supposedly was meant to love him. He had researched vampire mates the best that he could from the mind of Harry, who he'd often seen at school and had even befriended for a series of time before they drifted ways and Harry became much more alert and antisocial. To say that Niall had saw why now, would be an understatement. It all fit together like puzzle pieces why Harry was unable to do group projects or even stay in school for long periods of time. The thirst that Niall had felt by being in the presence of a gazelle was overwhelming enough, and he had been grateful that Harry and Zayn and not let him near any humans.

He didn't want to be a killer, and although the curly haired boy whom he had used to refer to as a friend told him that it was a natural instinct to want it, he knew that he wanted to only eat animals. It was more of a tofu-to-a-human lifestyle but the way that Niall's brain was wired would never allow him to harm a human, or take their life.

Ironic because he had tried to take his own. Funny to him now. And an even more hilarious thought was that he had been able to change how he thought of certain things in what seemed was a period overnight.

Harry had stated that a soul mate was more powerful than love at first sight. There was a legend that corresponded to the story its own, and thinking back on Harry's words, it almost had made him crack a smile.

"It was a long time ago; when things were simple, when people were nothing more than stepping stones to better things. His name was Allik; changed at 22, he had craved the company that he couldn't have due to being a player. Hopping from bed to bed, he was proud of what he was and who he was with—a different girl or boy every night. Allik was also a trouble maker, never having enough patience to mingle in the human world so he was as alone as possible, turning armies of woman to not only have on their knees but as a defense. In a simpler term, he made armies incase people tried to defy him.

"He was smart, careful, but also too careless. He had slept with her without even asking for her name, so how was he supposed to know that she came from the longest lineage of witches to roam? Sapphire Montague. After leaving her to an empty bed and her own devices, she casted a spell. To damn him to the one who was least like he was. And the only way that he would be able to tell was her eyes. If he never found her, then he would wallow out the ends of forever never having comfort or another.

"Sleeping with others would make him sick to his limitless stomach; glancing at another would make guilt fill him. After never finding her, and living a life of no purpose, he came to the last conclusion he had and burnt himself alive. The only way to kill a vampire." Harry had a soft voice, low enough to where only Niall could hear. As if it was a sick secret. Wide eyed and fascinated, Niall nodded, firing questions one after the other so fast he wasn't sure the blood eyed man would have caught them all would it not have been for his attention to detail.

"So a mate is just a lover?"

"They're a part of who you are, mostly opposites. They would be anything, do anything for you. Be a brother, sister, friend. Lover. Protector. Shoulder to cry on. They would slaughter colonies to make sure you were able to sleep without eyes open—vampires don't need it, but it's the thought that counts."