The Unexpected Guest (1/2)

POV: Walker

It's Wednesday night and the winter formal dance is on Saturday. It's all anyone can talk about and it's seriously getting annoying. It also doesn't help that my mom is forcing me to go. Something about getting "the high school experience" which is so stupid.

I mean I wouldn't mind it if I had something to look forward to but I don't. I don't have a date which I'm honestly not mad about because the only girl I'd want to go with lives on the other side of the country.

It doesn't help that my sister is on our mom's side about this all. If you ask me she should be on my side because the thing about this is with them forcing me to go I'm going to be third-wheeling her and her boyfriend all night.

Also before you ask, yes, I do have friends. But they all have dates. Which is another reason I don't want to go. I'd rather be at home in a hoodie and sweatpants facetiming my bestie,  Leah.

She is the only one who understands me. She's always there for me and I'm always there for her, no matter what. Also before you ask no we aren't dating. No matter how much I wish we were. It's just too much of a risk to tell her how I feel. I don't want to ruin what we have. She's just too important to me. She's my Annabeth, my wise girl. I don't know what I'd do without her.

Why do I always do this? I always find myself staring at the ceiling and thinking about Leah. It's probably not a good thing because I should be trying to hide my crush on her but the more I think about her the more difficult that gets.

Just then I hear a light knock on the door and it creeks open. "Walker bud dinners ready" I hear my dad say.

Then he catches a glimpse of me and starts to walk towards me. "hey, what's wrong kiddo?" he asks sitting down on the edge of my bed next to me.

"Nothing" I reply. I really don't want to talk about this. Especially not with my dad. I mean I know he can give me advice but it's honestly kind of embarrassing to talk about.

"I know you're lying. What's bothering you? You know you can talk to me about anything I'm not going to judge you"

"I know but I just don't want to talk about this"

"It might help you if you talk about it. Does this have to do with the dance on Saturday?"

"Part of it has to do with that. I mean Dad you have to understand I just don't want to go at all. I don't want to be a third wheel to Leena and her date or any of my friends and their dates"

"That's understandable but you know how your mom is and she's kind of got a point you're only in high school for so long and she doesn't want you to regret anything that could be avoided"

"I know it's just annoying when she makes me do things I feel like I'll regret doing because I probably won't enjoy it"

"I get that. But you said the dance was only part of, what else is on your mind?"

"Do I have to talk about it?"

"I can't force you to do anything but I strongly suggest you do. It will help"

How do you tell your dad that the main reason you don't want to go to this dance isn't the one that you just told him but the fact that the girl you want to go with is not only on the other side of the country but is your best friend, co-star, and the only girl you've had your eyes on since the moment you met her? The truth is you don't. You stay silent and wait for him to leave while praying he doesn't try and get it out of you. Since he has the great power of getting you to talk about things you don't want to talk about.

"Walker I know what you're trying to do and it's not going to work. You need to talk about this. So, I'm not going to let you keep this to yourself while it slowly takes up your entire life"