PREFACE

Sandcastles takes place on a chain of tropical islands somewhere within our modern world

Sandcastles takes place on a chain of tropical islands somewhere within our modern world. Due to their elusive nature the islands have been dubbed the Lost Islands by their residents. The residents of these tropical islands are all either survivors of a nautical or aerial wreck / crash, or are the descendants of those who suffered that fate. A strong pseudo-medieval society has formed on the islands, with clay brick castles and wooden shanty towns dotting the jungles, beaches, prairies, and plains. The rulers of these polities are the families who first built them, forming the nobility of the land. These islands have a mystical nature about them, and it is said that anyone who has arrived on the islands will never leave, thus giving rise to the religious concept of seconde vie, or French for second life. The story you are reading begins when another plane has fallen from the sky, crashing onto the islands once more. This has been the first skyfall since ten years past, and many of the superstitious or seriously religious residents believe this new event to be the beginning of a prophecy laid down a hundred years ago.

 This has been the first skyfall since ten years past, and many of the superstitious or seriously religious residents believe this new event to be the beginning of a prophecy laid down a hundred years ago

Sandcastles is first and foremost a world-building project. I am not a writer by trade nor do I plan to pursue any of my writings full-time. I will try to update my story as much as possible but please do understand; I am a university student with obligations elsewhere.

This story is being dual-updated on Wattpad under the username HighOaks (KnewIt1). I recommend reading the story on Quotev as this site is my preferred fiction writing software, but since Wattpad is a popular fanfiction / fiction site both amongst friends and collectively, I decided to put it over there as well. Quotev readers will get new updates as soon as they're finished, yet Wattpad readers will receive it the day after at 9:30am. 

Sandcastles is a diverse story with characters differing in all if not many identifiable aspects of life. It is my goal, and wish, to represent these characters faithfully and with sincerity.

Finally, thank you very much for taking the time to engage with this story; both as a written work and as a world-building project. I cannot express enough my gratitude for those who take the time to read what I have written, especially since at times I am not the most legible. The prologue is not required reading but it does give insight into the story's beginning.

Enjoy ❤