Chapter One

I was walking through the halls to my next class. Last week I landed in my most recent of my foster homes. I hear kids cheering as a girl is shoved to the ground by a bigger boy. I run over completely ignoring my social workers talk I may pick fights but never with a girl.
"Hey leave her alone." I say before shoving the kid he swings I duck and then punch him as hard as I can into his nose I hear a crunch sound before he gets mad a full blown fight breaks out. Finally a teacher walks over to split it up. The girl comes over as the principal walks away.
"Thanks. For protecting me. I am Sam." She says.
"Mason. No problem I may be a trouble maker but I don't hit girls." I say walking into the office.
"Mason one week here and already you are fighting. I think it is time to sign you up for the troubled youth program at SWAT tomorrow." My social worker says.
" I don't need no cops telling where I am headed. I don't need anyone's help. I never met my dad and I am just fine. Where were the cops when my mom was shot and killed in front of me no where that's where they thought just because she was poor she don't matter they still haven't caught the guy have they." I say in anger.
"Mason you are going end of story." He says.
"Fine but don't expect me to change." I say storming out of the room.

The next day my Social Worker dropped me off at LAPD SWAT for the program he is making me go to.

"Hi I am Kelly what you here for?" A girl asks.
"Mason. Fighting and knowing my social worker talking back to him. I don't see how this will help its not like I killed someone I just broke a kids nose for picking on a girl." I say in annoyed voice crossing my arms. I soon see two cops walk over one looks a bit like the man in the picture with my mom I always keep in my pocket.

I look at the guy that looked like he was in charge

I look at the guy that looked like he was in charge. I saw it clicks from an old memory with my mom she showed me a photo of these guys the day she died I keep quiet tho. They come and stand in front of us they tell us all to have a seat but I ignore the command and instead lean against the wall with my arms crossed and cross my ankles I put a pissed off look on my face on. It looked like it shocked him to see me look at them like I am. I guess they are used to kids being excited to meet them but not me I wasn't at all.
" Hey kids. I am Sergeant Kay and this is officer Luca. We are two cops from LAPD metro SWAT." The one with the Grey hair says. I zone them out until a woman starts walking over.

"There are a lot of benefits for working hard in school. Showing respect for your teachers, other classmates." Sergeant Kay says.
"And you definitely don't want to get in trouble and have S.W.A.T. showing up at your front door." Officer Luca says.
I see Sergeant Kay say something to the lady he looks worried.
"OK who wants to see a tank." Officer Luca says the other kids get excited but me I could careless. I follow but I hang back I lean against the wall outside.
"Six figures. 85 max. We call her Black Betty. " Officer Luca says.
" Yeah we use her to chase down bad guys. Which is why it's better to be a good guy." Sergeant Kay says.
"Bad guys can drive big trucks too and carry a gun." I say. Sergeant Kay's eyes shoot to me.
"And some still get away." Kelly says.
"Yeah, not... Not when we're after them." Officer Luca says. I of course know that is a lie I mean the man that killed my mom was never caught.
Sergeant Kay has a conversation with the kid in the wheel chair before he walks over to me.
"What's your name kid?" He asks me.
"Mason." I say.
"So what got you sent to this. I hear you are very smart but get into a lot of trouble at school." He says.
"Fighting been expelled from 6 schools in the last year." He does a double take.
"6 schools damn kid. What do your parents say about it." He says.
"Mom is dead never met my dad. I am a foster kid. My social work had enough and guess. He seems to think cops can straighten me out. I don't know why he thinks I will listen especially when it was LAPD that let my mom's murderer get away." I say walking away.

Deacon's POV

I stand there a second shocked at what Mason went through I went over to the Captain.
"What is Mason's last name?" I say.
"It is Kay." I nod before I walk into the building to look up his file. Luca comes up behind me just as Mason mom's file comes up. I hear him drop to the floor saying no. I recognize her as the girl I slept with two years before Lila was born. I stand there shocked at her last name.
"Luca what is it?" I ask.
"It's my baby sister. How did you find this I have been looking with no success of finding her for nearly 9 years. Says she has been dead 6 years." Luca says with his voice cracking.
"The kid Mason outside told me about it but no name her killer was never found. Mason is her son he is 8. The kid has had it rough. Luca I think he may be my son. Your sister and I got drunk nearly 9 years ago the time frame matches. We slept together. I didn't know she was pregnant when she disappeared we would need a DNA test to prove it tho. Mason is your nephew Luca even if it turns out he isn't mine he is still your family." I say with my head down. Me and Luca look through his file.
"I have to do right by Taylor I am the oldest it is up to me to raise him." Luca says.

Mason's POV

Officer Luca walks over to me.
"So I hear you are fighting in school." He says.
"Yeah. So. It's not like anyone has ever cared what happens to me. I have been in 15 different foster homes since I was 4. My stupid worker thought this was a good idea not me. I don't need anyone but myself. I have been taking care of myself since I was 4. The only person I had was shot down in South LA right in front of me while I was in my stroller. We were just taking a walk." I say before walking away. What I didn't know then is that I just told my uncle how his sister died.

The next day I am pulled out of class and driven to the hospital by my social worker.
"Jack why are we here?" I ask him.
"This morning I was served papers for a sample of your DNA to be ran asked someone's. Mason we may have found your father." He says.
" I don't need a father I am just fine on my own." I say.
"Not from the phone call I got from your foster parents today. You have skipped 4 days this week of school." He says.
"Whatever school is a waste of time." I say as we walked into the hospital. Later that night results are in turns out they did find my dad.