Chapter Fifty-One

Start from the beginning

      “Kit Lawson made your dress?” Tara demanded, her eyes enviously raking over the article once more.

      “Yep,” I nodded.

      “But—but she does shoes, not clothes,” her thin eyebrows contorted together in misperception.

      “That’s what I said too,” I told her, “but then it turns out that she can, well, make clothes.”

      “Ugh!” Tara shook her head, causing her dark side ponytail to sway, “I want your life, Liz!”

      “Believe me, you most certainly don’t,” I assured her with an unladylike snort.

      “Tara! Liz! Brendon!” another voice belonging to a brunette was added to the conversation. Three others followed behind the overly enthusiastic girl adorned in a gold dress that would be likely to attract much attention, as desired. “OMG! You all look so hot!”

      “Awww! Thanks, Lauren, so do you!” Tara complimented her right back.

      “Liz, that dress is amazing!” Lauren gushed.

      “It’s Kit Lawson,” Tara told her.

      “What?” Lauren asked in a confusion-saturated tone.

      “It’s an original!” Tara said, shaking her head as she looked at my dress once more in admiration.

      “You two haven’t forgotten that her mom happens to be the president of some company called ‘Kit Lawson,’ and that the Kit Lawson is practically Liz’s aunt, have you?” Alice piped up, throwing in her helpful rationality that a discussion with the girls wouldn’t be complete without. She wore a white dress that hugged her legs and was strapless.

      “Like I already said: I want your life, Liz,” Tara repeated her deluded wish. If she only knew that the glamour she yearned for was a falsehood when it came to the encompassment of my life.

      “I agree with Lauren,” a blonde boy expressed, slinging his tuxedoed arm over Alice, “you look hot, Turner.”

      “Thanks, bro,” I replied back, “so do you.”

      “I know,” he winked cockily, kissing the top of Alice’s head in a way that I thought would ooze sappiness.

      “I’m going to puke,” Joey muttered to no one in particular.

      “That would actually, like, ruin my prom, so please don’t do that right now,” Lauren cooed as she gravitated back over to him, clasping her arms around his neck.

      I wasn’t entirely sure what the issue in the first place had been or what had occurred to resolve it, but, basically, Lauren was no longer mad at Joey, and they were kind of together now, but not really. It was something fuzzy like that. Whatever the case, they had decided to go to prom together, and that was enough for both of them to be pleased.

      “So, are you going to join us in there or wait for your Prince Charmings?” Alex pointed to the doors that led to the throbbing music that could be felt from where we were standing and the “Starry Night” theme that made Madison High even more cliché than it already was.

      Starry Night. Seriously? How was that even a legitimate prom theme? It was so vague and just absolute bullshit. I think that Alice was on the planning committee or something and had told me that the others in the group had stopped brainstorming after three ideas. It wasn’t that I even really cared that much, but rather the lack of thought bothered me to no end. Starry Fucking Night. Again: absolute bullshit.