33. pregnancy and childbirth

As the first light of dawn filtered through the curtains, casting a soft glow across the room, Shubman stirred from his slumber, his mind slowly emerging from the depths of sleep.

He blinked groggily, his senses gradually coming alive as he registered the familiar surroundings of their bedroom.

Sitting upright in bed, Shubman glanced around the room, his gaze lingering on the peaceful scene before him.

The gentle rise and fall of Nandhini's chest as she slept beside him, the soft waves of her hair framing her peaceful face, filled him with a sense of satisfaction unlike anything he had felt in months.

A smile tugged at the corners of his lips as he reached out to brush a stray lock of hair from her forehead, marveling at the beauty of the woman who had captured his heart.

And as his fingers grazed her skin, Nandhini's eyes fluttered open, her gaze meeting his with a warmth.

"Good morning," she murmured, her voice husky with sleep as she reached out to pull him back down beside her, her arms wrapping around him in a tender embrace.

Shubman chuckled softly, the sound echoing through the quiet room as he settled into the comforting curve of her body.

"Good morning, love," he replied, his voice filled with affection as he pressed a gentle kiss to her forehead.

For a moment, they lay there together in the tranquil stillness of the morning, wrapped in the warmth of their love. And as Nandhini drifted back to sleep, her breathing slow and steady against his chest, Shubman felt a sense of peace settle over him like a comforting blanket.

In that moment, everything felt right in the world, as if the trials and errors of the past were nothing more than distant memories. He then closed his eyes, surrendering to the embrace of sleep once more.

As the morning sun continued its ascent, casting a warm glow throughout the room, Shubman's phone rang, breaking the peaceful stillness of the moment. He reached over to the bedside table, his hand fumbling for the device as he glanced at the caller ID. It was Ishan.

"Hey, Ishan," Shubman answered, his voice still laced with the remnants of sleep.

"Hey, buddy," Ishan greeted him on the other end of the line. "Just wanted to check in and see how things are going."

Shubman rubbed the sleep from his eyes, his mind still foggy with the remnants of dreams. "Things are... good," he replied softly, unsure of how much to reveal.

There was a brief pause on the other end of the line before Ishan spoke again, his voice tinged with concern. "Have you and Nandhini... mended things?"

Shubman hesitated, his gaze drifting to his side where she was asleep. He bit his lip, grappling with the weight of Ishan's question.

"Yeah," he finally answered, his voice filled with a mixture of relief and uncertainty. "We're working on it."

Ishan let out a sigh of relief on the other end of the line.

"That's good to hear, man. I was worried about you guys."

Shubman nodded, even though Ishan couldn't see him. "Thanks, Ishan. I appreciate it."

Before ending the call, Ishan took a deep breath, his voice carrying a solemn weight as he attempted to broach a delicate subject with his friend.

"Shubman, I know this might be hard to hear, but I think it's important for you to understand,"  Ishan began, his tone gentle yet firm.

"Pregnancy and childbirth... they can be really tough on women, both physically and mentally."