XLII

XLII_I_Garden_of_Even

The Hanging Garden of Fakrid-Imsh was nothing short of magnificent, even more so than the fact that Alkol had suddenly made their boat fly and landed Suakasai and Lagno on the place. Gravity was reversed in these parts. Threads of natural stone bridges protruding from the edge of the continent and twisting into a labyrinth of upside-down paths where the sky would be beneath your feet and the ocean above your head; and what grew upon the soil was no less beautiful. There were flowers of every color, shape, and size; but in each place only those that went well together with harmony stood together. All vegetation rose toward the ocean; as though reaching for a fallen god. As though their heaven was wherever their god was, be it below.

Suakasai, with Lagno grabbing onto his arm, walked southward toward the main body of the continent. They passed a bush of azure and turquoise roses and scared away a flock of white pigeons. They had landed close to the main land, so they had walked only about a kilometer when they reached a vertical twist in their path that gave them a headache, and then gravity was just like it was in any other place.

They saw Veron there, looking at something on the ground. They had not met him yet, of course, but he was definitely Veron. As for what he was looking at, it was something that only Veron saw. Not that it was invisible - anyone could have seen it - but only Veron saw it. It was a message carved out of the soil.

If you have arrived here and are looking for me, I hope it means that you have successfully taken care of your other businesses. I am either at the Fortress of Eve Garden or somewhere in its vicinity playing with my new friend. She's so cute; you'll love her!

Yours and forever, your best friend

There is a writing in the Garden. "There is a writing in the garden." Veron repeated; this time aloud.

I know, he heard a voice echo in his head, I wrote it. And then, he was sure.

"Actually, never mind what I said." He turned to the approaching two. "I don't believe we've met? I'm Veron Riym. If you're headed for the fortress, I can lead the way. You'll definitely get lost if it's your first time."

"You're to kind," said Suakasai, "and it is nice to meet you. I am Suakasai Ario. This is my friend Lagno Ibnagan."

Lagno gave a slight bow which went utterly ignored.

"Shall we depart right away?" Veron asked Suakasai.

"Lead the way."

The continent of Fakrid-Imsh - at least the part which they were walking now - had been named accordingly. These jungles resembled one giant garden for everything about them was so elegantly positioned that seemed unnatural; even though it showed no sign of conscious intervention. Trees that were abundant and tall enough to beautiful and make the scenery beautiful, but not abundant and tall enough to block the touch of heavenly illumination. Gazelles, hares, parrots, and other quadrupeds and birds living in such harmony as though the entire Garden was their comfortable home. There were some trees with pink blossoms that might have been sakura, some with orange ones and some turquoise and others of various rainbow colors here and there, most of whose trunks were elegantly wrapped by ivy of equally diverse colors. Every few dozen steps they would pass small streams of tranquillizingly limpid aqua. Then they walked around a small hill and the fortress rose above their heads. It was at least ten times larger than Suakasai had expected; and Suakasai had expected a lot.

"This is the last bastion of pure orcs." Veron indicated the gigantic fortress with curved, dazzlingly white walls that were decorated with ivy, angelic statues, and trees that, quite literally, gew out of the walls, as well as in roof gardens that were visible on lower roofs. "The fortress is built on the edge of a precipice. Beyond it, there are no safe lands. But as far as the eye can see from this fortress, the view is still beautiful. As far as the human eye can see, at least, according to what I've heard."

The Second Carpenterजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें