Chapter 002

TSUKISHIMA KEI - the night we met by lord huron.

"Thank you." I bowed to the cashier, who had handed me the bag of groceries that I had just purchased. She smiled before bowing back, "Thank you, Sir!" I nodded before leaving the shop. 

It was one of the busy nights in Tokyo. The bright lights of billboards, the cars honking, and crowds of people bustling in the busy streets of Tokyo. It was chilly, good thing I had my coat and scarf with me. I walked past a lot of people going to completely different directions that I was. Then, the phone vibrating inside the pocket of my pants had caught my attention. I halted before fishing out my phone from my pocket and answered the call without looking at the caller's ID.

"He-" 

"HEY HEY HEY!"

I removed my phone from my ear and distanced it. My eyebrows furrowed and a frown was formed across my face as I heard a familiar loud voice from the other line of the phone.

"Bokuto-san, what is it?"

Bokuto is one of my few friends. Well, forced to be friend. I wasn't a social person, not even a talking one. He was 2 years older than me, and we work in the same place. I didn't really pay attention to him and just talked to him if I needed something. But then, we had this sort of group leisure thing in our workplace and had a friendly volleyball match. He started to bug me to play with him after he saw that I could play, and the rest is pretty much history now. 

"Tsukiii, can I get a ride tomorrow to work? Pretty Pleee-" 

Call ended. 

I started to walk home again when my phone started vibrating again. My frown dropped even further and sighed before picking it up again.

"Hey! Why'd you hang up, huh huh!?"

I can imagine the look on his face right now. This spanky owl.

"To remind you of the time you dropped your breakfast inside my car when I decided you to ride with me to work."

"Well, I paid to get you a carwash!"

"You spilled your coffee on my important project proposal due on that day."

"Oh..."

"Yeah, I'm hanging up."

"No! Tsuki, I'm sorryyyy. Please! Let me ride with you! Akaashi can't come send me to work since he's going to a business trip in Brazil with that brat, Oikawa!"

"...."

"Please, Tsuki. I'm begg—"

"Fine."

I heard a silence in the other line before a loud shout came from the older. I distanced my phone again from the second time.

"Thank you, Tsuki! This means a lot to me!"

I rolled my eyes while walking down the street. "Tch, but no foods inside the car."

"Yes, Sir!"

"And no liquids inside th—"

My eyes widened when a random guy with greenish hair bumped so hard against my chest. He was about to fall down to his back when I had take a hold of his arm to prevent him from falling. He looked shocked and taken aback from what had happened. "Are you okay?" I asked the guy.

My groceries had fallen down the ground. Some apples rolled down the street. I felt some looks from other people. Some were even whispering.

I examined the guy. He looked like my age. Not like my actual age, my body's age. He had messy green hair with some stray strands covering his eye, his eyes were a tint of soft warm brown color, his skin was pale, and he had pretty freckles.

Ones that resembles the stars.

“O-oh! I-i'm fine!" He responded. I stared at him a few moments before talking again, "Can you stand now? My arm's hurting a bit." I said in a 'kind' voice. The guy blinked a few times before he realized what I had said and stood up straight. I let go of his arm before clearing my throat.

"I'm so sorry about that. I didn't see you and I was just dashing without a thought and I didn't see the kid in front of me and I just whoosh— Oh, I'm sorry, I'm talking to much but that's besides the point." I watched the guy ramble relentlessly with a distressed expression in his face about how it happened in the first place.

"I'm really sorry!" He bowed.

"It's fine, no worries." I said, he stood up straight before glancing at my groceries. Yeah, totally forgot about that.

He looked at me and at my groceries back with a worried expression. "I'm so sorry about your groceries. I can buy you a new one!" The guy smiled after giving the offer. He looks sincere.

"No, thank you for the offer." I politely declined. The green head frowned as soon as he had heard what I said. "Please, I insist. I could atleast pay you something, Sir." This guy is persistent. "No, really. It's fine, it was just a bit of groceries." I said, trying to make it sound polite. He looked at me before answering back, "Please let me pay for it. It's a lot of food, Sir." The green haired guy was really tough and persistent.

I sighed before finally giving in his offer.

"Okay, I'll just take your offer."The guy smiled widely, making his eyes disappear.

"Thank you, Sir..?" I offered my hand. "Tsukishima Kei, please drop the formalities. we're probably just the same age." That was definitely a lie. He took my hand and nodded with a soft smile plastered on his face. I felt a thud in my chest when I saw how he looked at me while smiling.

"Yamaguchi Tadashi, it's nice to meet you."

Tadashi.

As our hands made contact, the sound of the loud city disappeared in the background. Everything blurred out for a moment. It felt like we were the only people in the place.

His hand felt warm in my hand.

And it felt right.

———

it took me 2 days to finish this chapter since i'k so busy in school. i keep on having a mental block while writing. HAIKYUU DUMPSTER BATTLE MOVIE INTERNATIONAL RELEASE WHEEEN? 😓