Mile

I got home around midnight after settling some work issues. It was the school holidays, so Ellie was still awake, watching TV and jumping around with her helper.

Sister Nan has been with us since Ellen passed away, and she has been the biggest blessing to our family. The only reason I can do my job well was because of her.

"Papaaa! You are back! Can I have my new friend here tomorrow for a movie? Oh, or can we go eat ice cream? Do you want to watch this movie with me?"

I laughed. "Slow down, kid. I just came back. Let me put my things away, and we can talk."

I showered, changed into some comfy clothes, and then went down. Ellie was watching her show. I told Sister Nan to go sleep and that I would take over. She nodded, grateful for the respite. She kissed Ellie good night, patted me on my head, and went off.

I sat next to Ellie, who cuddled into me. Just then, a video call came through. I answered it only to hear this male voice screaming away.

"It's way too late to be calling someone! SASHAAAAA!" But then Sasha's face popped into my screen, and I heard a tiny yelp as Ellie took my phone. Great, now these two 7 year olds were commandeering my phone and clearly his too.

Finally, about 10 minutes later, with a promise of a movie night for the next day, Ellie handed the phone back to me. Sasha had passed the phone back to Man too, and he took it, extremely apologetic over his daughter's behaviour. I just laughed, saying it was fine. As the girls really wanted the movie night, we coordinated the logistics. Man was going to drop his daughter off with me tomorrow. I agreed, and we finally hung up the phone.

The next day, around 11am, Man and his daughter came over. Sasha nodded and greeted me politely, but her eyes practically shone as Ellie came down. Ellie grabbed her hands, and both kids ran off to Sister Nan, who was preparing snacks for them.

That left Man and me in a very awkward situation. I looked at him and invited him in.

"Come on in?"

"Hey, yes, thanks. Thank you for agreeing to this. Sasha hardly warms up to new people like that, so I was surprised."

"Same here. Ellie seems very friendly but she's actually pretty much on the fence about new people usually."

Man chuckled. I got a beer for both of us and we sat in the balcony. We turned to just check on the two girls who were busy chatting with Sister Nan and having snacks.

I looked over at Man. "Sorry about the very first time we met. I.. its just.. my job.."

"Don't sweat it. I am more angry at Calvin actually. He..has always been a non existent dad and now he just chose to make it worse. I have gotten my lawyer to reach out so he will be contacting you soon."

I nodded.

"How long were you guys married?"

"Calvin and I had been together for 10 years. The troubles started when we were trying for a child. We used a surrogate mother. I know he wanted a boy badly but whom are we to choose? He left the minute Sasha was born."

I was stunned. Ellen passed away, it's not like she deliberately left. But Calvin, that asshole. I turned to see Sasha who must have been hurt from day 1.

"What do you do?"

"I'm a vet. I actually work from home, offering my services in a studio apartment within the same building. Usually my services are in the night so I can spend my day with Sasha, put her to bed then go to work."

"You don't want to have a helper?"

"I rather not. It's just not the same. And I haven't found a good one. So I rather not. I don't think my Sasha needs any more disappointments."

I smiled, nodding at him. Sister Nan called us for lunch and we all sat down. Surprisingly, I noticed that Sasha and I shared very specific preferences about food whilst Ellie just about wolfed everything down like Man. The irony wasn't lost on us and we all laughed over it.

Once we were done with lunch, the girls scooted off to the living room for movies whilst Man made his move. He had an appointment with a client and said he will be back in 2 hours. I nodded and watched as he went off. I had no work today so I decided to spend my day with the girls. I joined them for the movie and we had a whale of a time together!

About 1.5 movies later, Man came back with some snacks for all of us and also to pick Sasha up. She thanked me for the wonderful time and hugged Ellie tightly! I could see both girls were reluctant about having to end the afternoon. I looked over at Man who just shrugged his shoulders at me.

I kneeled down to both girls and asked how they felt about spending the night together. Their shrieks and screams totally made up for it! Ellie went to hug Man for giving permission and Sasha held onto me, kissing me gently on my cheeks.

"Thank you uncle! One of my best days ever!" I smiled at Sasha.

"I... I'm glad I could make this happen for you."

Sasha smiled at me and held onto me as Ellie held onto Man. We carried both girls to the room so they could continue playing. Sister Nan had some family plans today so she had to leave early so Man offered to cook dinner for us.

I tagged along to the kitchen asking if he needed my help. Man stood at the fridge, peering in. He finally emerged and just smiled at me, insisting he had it and not to worry.

I nodded and told him I check in on the girls instead. He agreed and I went off. As I was walking to the room to check on the girls, the irony of this entire situation just hit me.

Just 2 days ago, I was handing the worst piece of news to this man and his daughter. But ironically, now, 2 days later, I had the man in my kitchen and his daughter having the time of her life with mine. Was it even ok?

As I opened the door, Sasha turned and gave me the most charming smile ever. All rights, I'm taking it back. This was all worth it, just to see the smile on this little girl's face.

I checked in on them and went back to the kitchen and ended up being the recipient of another warm smile, from the little girl's father. Oddly, his smile actually made my heart waver a bit.

What the heck?

[A/N: How does one not waver at this smile?!]