Ch 8: Hearth Goddess and Burnt Croissants

The bathroom incident spread around the camp like a wildfire

The bathroom incident spread around the camp like a wildfire. Wherever Percy went, campers pointed and murmured something about toilet water and Clarisse. Or maybe they were staring at Annabeth who was still dripping wet and smelt like pee. She showed the duo a few more places that Chiron didn't : the metal shop, the arts-and-crafts room and the climbing wall, which actually consisted of two facing walls that shook violently dropped boulders, spewed lava and clashed together if kids were too slow.

Finally, they returned to the lake where the trail led the back to the cabins.

"I've got training to do." Annabeth informed flatly. "Dinners at seven thirt. Just follow your cabin to the mess hall."

"Annabeth, I'm sorry about the toilets." Percy spoke up.

"Whatever."

"It wasn't my fault." Percy said, getting defensive again.

She looked at Percy, than to Arabella and back to Percy again. The boy realised it was his fault. He'd made the water shoot out of the bathroom fixtures. He didn't understand how but the toilets seemed to have responded to him.

"Is there a god of toilets?" Arabella asked, smiling at Percy.

"You need to talk to the Oracle," Annabeth said.

"Who?"

"Not who. What. The Oracle. I'll ask Chiron."

Ari wasn't paying much attention as she looked over the pier they were on, wishing to see someone normal, just to reassure her that the world wasn't completely crazy. She wasn't expecting anybody to be actual down there. Ari' jaw dropped as she saw two teenage girls sitting cross-legged at the base of the pier, about five metres below. They wore blue jeans and shimmering green t-shirts, their brown hair floating loose around their shoulders as minnows darted in and out.

They giggled and waved their fingers at her.

"Ari!" Grabbing the girl who was leaning so far over the edge she almost fell.

"Don't encourage them," Annabeth warned. "Naiads are terrible flirts."

"Naiads," Percy repeated, looking down at the girls. He was reaching his breaking point. "That's it, I want to go home."

Annabeth frowned. "Don't you get it Percy? You are home. This is the only safe space on Earth for kids like us."

"You mean mentally disturbed kids?"

Arabella elbowed the boy hard in the shoulder. She then went back to looking at the Naiads.

Annabeth rolled her eyes at the blonde before answering Percy. "I mean not human," she said, sounding bored. "Not totally human, anyways. Half-human."