Hey, Mr. Jobless

Começar do início

"W-What?" My eyes widened in disbelief.

"Oh, now we're playing Tinkerbell, aren't we? Well, listen up. This ain't neverland, and there ain't gonna be no Peter Pan to save you from every mistake. It's time you faced the consequences of your actions."

"I had no idea he wasn't Raghav. He effortlessly responded to my questions, exuding a celebrity's composure. Reserved, speaking only when needed," I murmured, reflecting on the enigmatic man who took on the guise of the model.

"I couldn't care less about who it was; that's your problem. Mine is the nosedive in our shares unless a hyped celebrity becomes the face of our company."

"It's not my fault; I was deceived too. I feel betrayed as a person," I exclaimed in agony.

"Well, you should've been smarter then." He delivered the sentence as his final verdict. "You're fired because Skytale accepts mistakes, not blunders. There, you have your reason."

With that, he strolled off, joining the crowd of company-men waiting for him. Charlie gave me a sympathetic look before dashing off to protect the said boss.

Before further rumors could spread about me, I hurried away from the building. There were things I needed the world, my boss, and that man to hear, but nobody was there. I was alone, once again.

At that moment, the world seemed to stand still. Everything blurred into a backdrop of despair. The harsh reality of losing my job hit me like a ton of bricks. How would I manage my mother's bills, feed my kids, or address any urgent needs? Mumbai, once my home, now felt unfamiliar and distant, adding to my sense of isolation.

"Take me back home," I whispered to the cab driver, my gaze fixed on the vanishing view of my former workplace—the space that consumed most of my days.

Today, a crucial realization dawned upon me. The world, it seemed, relishes witnessing a good person's failure, downfall, or struggle to survive. It doesn't matter how much one has contributed; eventually, they leave you alone in a dark abyss, drowning in solitude.

Death may take your body, but humiliation claims the spirit. Today, it was my spirit that perished. The weight of loneliness settled in, a cruel aftermath of the humiliation that stained my being.

"Everything alright, son?" The cab driver's concerned voice pulled me back from my thoughts. I swiftly wiped away the tears forming in my eyes, managing a smile. "Just a little argument back there, nothing I can't handle."

"You sure, kid?" He asked genuinely.

"Absolutely," I replied.

A heavy silence enveloped me, and this time, it felt even more oppressive. Each passing second tightened my chest, reminiscent of my father's fading words before he passed away.

"You've made me the proudest father in the world. While I won't be there to witness your future triumphs, knowing you can support yourself and your mother brings me great comfort. Keep moving forward, son. Don't dwell on the past; you've come so far already. Stay resilient, even when life throws challenges your way. Remember, sometimes, good things fall apart so that better things can come together. I'll miss you up there, son."

"I apologize, Dad. I've let you down," I whispered softly. "I'm no longer the son you can take pride in or boast about."

The cab driver chimed in, "Your father must be a blessed man, having a son like you, dear. Your determined expression speaks volumes – a trait only the most powerful individuals exhibit, even in the face of significant defeats."

"Do you really think so?" I asked, a glimmer of hope in my voice.

"Absolutely, so giddy up and here's your stop," he chuckled softly. "That'll be a 60-rupee ride."

I retrieved my wallet and paid him, then headed towards my apartment. Upon opening the door, I was greeted by two furry companions who enthusiastically jumped on me, showering me with affectionate licks.

Sweater, Jumper," I laughed, the first genuine sound of the evening. Embracing them, I asked, "How do you guys always know exactly what I need?"

They exchanged a glance, as if sharing a telepathic understanding.

"Red eyes?"

"He cried."

"Hate gloomy him."

"Definitely boss trouble."

"Baldie ruins joy."

"One day, bite wig!"

"Go girl!"

"You're helping"

"Yes ma'am."

"Hey look, he's staring at us."

"Oh right."

As they nestled closer, a symphony of barks filled the room, their warmth soothing my soul. "My partners in crime," I chuckled, "I'll do whatever it takes to keep you fed, even if it means a bank heist."

Sweater barked skeptically as if to say, 'You? A thief?'

I shrugged, "Hey, YouTube has tutorials for everything."

They exchanged a glance, their doggy skepticism evident.

"Smart, yet clueless."

"A hopeless fool."

I shook my head at their antics and stood up from the cuddly pile, making my way to the washroom for a quick refresh. Gazing at myself in the mirror, I noticed my red and slightly swollen eyes, making my face resemble that of an ugly toad.

"Well, I could totally audition for a circus gig with this face." I chuckled.

Returning to the living room, I flopped down on the sofa and switched on the television.

"Welcome, folks, to today's IPL 2024 showdown. We've got the clash of the titans – RCB vs MI."

"Shane, who's your money on for this match?"

"Well, mate, it's a toss-up, quite literally. Factors like the toss, the dew, and the scoreboard quality will play a role. But I'd bet this pitch will be kinder to the chasers today."

"Spot on, Shane. Your cricketing wisdom is still intact post-retirement, eh?"

"Oh, absolutely. Once a cricketer, always a cricketer, mate."

"Couldn't agree more." He paused, holding the comms in his ears before chiming in, "Alright then, newsflash – Royal Challengers Bangalore wins the toss and opts to bat first."

I let out a dramatic groan, "Another day, another questionable life choice."

Sweater and Jumper hopped up, flanking either side of the sofa, snuggling in close.

"I've turned you into little couch potatoes, haven't I?" I teased, giving them ear scratches.see there's this thing about games. if you play too well you lose and if you play too bad you lose

They yipped happily, and I chuckled, shifting my focus back to the television. However, my mind wandered to the man responsible for my current state of despair. If he hadn't played that devious prank on me, I'd still have my job.

The man was undoubtedly a celebrity; his demeanor was a dead giveaway. While I didn't pay much attention to the background noises, faint sounds reached my ears.

"The match's openers have arrived: Faf Du Plessis and Kabir Rai, the rising cricket sensation. RCB secured him for a hefty 9 crores this year. Let's witness if he can match the performance of the seasoned player Faf. Now, over to Shane."

As I was about to drift off amid the match, my phone rang once again. Groaning, I reluctantly picked up the call, uttering a small hello.

"Hey, Mr. Jobless," taunted the voice on the other end.