𝐃𝐎𝐃𝐆𝐄.

A/N: I don't know anything about surgery or much about the 1800's I'm just gonna try use common sense.

Y/N's POV:

He seemed focused on the task at hand, stitching that blokes abdomen back up. A woman at his side, probably a nurse, handed him the scissors and he snipped the end of the string off. A doctor, Dodge was a doctor now.

I tap my boot against the doorframe gently, so I don't make him jump and mess up. His eyes stay glued to the operation.

"What?" He says sternly, still not looking up. I grin at his obliviousness. His nurse looks in my direction.

"Women aren't allowed in here." She states, a fake smile tugging on her lips. Dodge nods in agreement, he still hasn't looked at me.

"Well it looks like your in here." I smile back. This makes Jack look up, puzzled. His eyes lock with mine and I grin.

His eyebrows furrow and he puts his finished stitches down, I couldn't tell if he was happy, or just down right confused.

"Dodge?" I snicker, "you alright there, mate?"

A small smirk plays on his face, he looks back down at the man and quickly finishes his task, he rolls his sleeves down and looks back at me.

"It's Jack. Jack Dawkins." More nurses walk in and take the man on the table out of the room, the tension in the air rose.

"So your a doctor? Wow, Jack." I tease, stepping closer to him. My boots silently clack against the floor.

He squints at me. "Surgeon, actually." He says, trying to maintain his sternness. "It's been a while, I've been living a legitimate life, you should try it." He smirks.

"Ouch, nice to see you too, you daft bloke." I look around the room, Jack leans back on the table, brushing a hand through his hair. "What you up to anyway?"

"Just finished up here. I'm doing the usual, you know? Cutting open people and sewing them shut." Jack chuckles to himself, looking satisfied. "How about you? Still sticking people's pockets?"

"I don't know what your talking about, Dodge?" My voice drips with sarcasm. Feigning offence my by putting a hand on my chest.

"I've heard that line a thousand times before." Jack smirks, amused. "You don't change, do you? How often have you been locked up now? Four? Five times?"

"Hush it, Dodge. How'd you get so popular anyway?" I look at him challengingly, aswell leaning myself against the slightly bloody table.

"It's called reputation," Jack says, raising an eyebrow. "I have the ability and the knowledge to perform surgeries that even the Royal Surgeons in London can't. I get invited to the Governor's house on a monthly basis as his resident surgeon. I even have patients coming into the Colony from all across the country, just to see me."

"You, on the other hand... well." Jack chuckles, shaking his head. I glare at him.

"Made something of yourself, I see." I say. He was boasting just to make me feel powerless, I was sure of it.

He continues his showing off, "I most certainly have." He replies, smiling smugly. "It's almost like I have everything you wanted. A position of power, a name that gets respect, money..."

"Piss off, will ya? I enjoy my free life, don't be a dick." I mess with the sleeves of my horrid dress, my cheap dress. "Where is he?"

"I'm not a dick, I'm just telling it as it is." Jack replies in a mock-annoyed tone. "Who are you talking about?"

"Fagin, you bloody simpleton." I say in annoyance, maybe he really has changed.

"Fagin, you mean our mentor? The guy who raised us? And you want to know where he is?" Jack says, seeming surprised.

"I'll find him myself then." I say, nodding at no one in particular. "You've changed, Dodge. I'm still who I was them years ago, n' you..? An escaped convict pretending he's worth summit." I say, freely revealing his secret in the empty room.

Jack shrugs. "You know, you're right. I am an escaped convict. And yet, here I am... respected by the Governor and admired by the whole colony. Makes you think, doesn't it? How did this escaped convict manage to do so much while you've done nothing but pick people's pockets and run around in the shadows like the coward you are—"

"Coward?" I say in genuine anger, "You backed away from us."

"I did nothing of the sort." Jack snaps. "Back then, you and those street kids had nothing but crime in your mind. I did all I could to stay away from that." I look at him in disgust, liar.

Jack was beginning to get annoyed. "I didn't want my life to go to waste in the streets like yours. And here I am, a respected surgeon. So yes, compared to me, you did nothing, and you are a coward."

"Bastard, ain't you? Fuck you Dodger." I say leaving, disappointed.

Jack smiles, feeling a mix of relief and amusement. "That's the y/n I know." He chuckles to himself as I leave, satisfied with the last few insults he threw at me.

He shakes his head and goes back to cleaning up his theatre.

they love each other so much <3
comment please 🙏 it makes my day.