Nightmare crossed his arms over the table, “You shall stay here, you will be fed, clothed, and given shelter. Safe. In turn, you will be out of my way.”

Ink squinted his eyes.

On one hand, free stuff.

On the other hand, he was trapped in a foreign place with a tyrant for a ruler, trapped in a dark and gloomy castle—no outside help either. Killers lived here. They would be in danger constantly, even if they were promised safety it was no guarantee.

But free stuff was tempting.

He looked at Cross, who also looked back at him. Cross’ eyes held hopelessness.

“You don’t have a choice, of course. I am merely giving you this information. This is the least I could do, I suppose.” Nightmare spoke up again, somehow so smugly that he could identify it as if he was proud of himself for his ‘kindness’.

Well, at least he wouldn’t have to choose.

When Nightmare started to speak about rules, he started to space out.

He wondered when he would get to go back home. He missed Dream and Blue. He also missed Blue’s tacos. He wondered when he could eat them next. Maybe at a park? He liked to paint the park. He could make it a picnic. He should write that down. He should ask for a marker, a pencil won’t appear on his scarf. He still likes to use pencils for drawing though! Speaking(thinking) of drawing, he should draw Nightmare’s castle. A way to pass the time he supposed. What would he even do for fun here? Maybe he could create some glitter in secret. He could also find out the residents' fears. Oh! What about combining them both!? He should also write that down! That could be fun. He remembered when he somehow(he didn’t exactly know or remember how he did it either) tamed a group of wild squirrels and ganged up against Red. He would be so angry if he ever found out it was because of him.  He thinks about the furious look on his face. Dream was so done with his actions(he always knew it was Ink somehow) but he said nothing because Red had been mean earlier that morning. He did try to help him when Red started to roll on the ground to get them off, unlike Ink who did nothing and just laughed harder. He laughed anytime Red cringed at the mere sight of a squirrel nearby, Ink would always get a scowl in response because Ink never hid his laughter. Laughter was nowhere to be found here
though-

“Ink,” Cross softly shoved his arm to get his attention

“Ink,” Cross softly shoved his arm to get his attention. Ink looked back at him, “yeah?”

“Were you even paying attention to anything I said?” Nightmare asked.

“Nuh-uh,” was all Ink responded with. He did not bother to elaborate, he was upset that he was interrupted from his thoughts.

Nightmare scowled, moving his head into his hands. He muttered a small ‘Why me?’  in his hands before looking back up.

“Go to Cross’ old room or something, I’ll decide if I want to let your handcuffs off later.” The king dismissed with a wave of his hand.

Cross immediately jumped up, grabbed him, and ran out of the room.

---

Nightmare sat quietly in his now empty room. Well, mostly empty.

He didn’t even blink when a ghost appeared next to his seat. The ghost had his crown on, without the spikes. Still in formal attire despite the fact no one but Nightmare could see him. One of his eyes was out, black goop coming out of it but otherwise showed no relation to him. He sighs before asking, “What do you want?”

“Do you know how boring it is to be around you? There’s finally something new here!” Passive snarked. He had given the other the nickname as it was confusing to call each other the same name, Passive had simply taken to calling him ‘Corrupted’.

Nightmare, of course, chose to ignore that question.

Passive didn’t comment on it, “So who’s the other one, why’d you bring him here? I doubt you of all people wanted to make more friends, no matter how much you clearly need them. Your band of idiots need a new member to join their gang or something?”

Nightmare frowned, “He’s close with Cross, I don’t know how long they’ve known each other but it hasn’t been that long considering he hasn’t told him that he was part of our group. We could use that to our advantage. It’s clear they know something about that stupid artifact that we don’t.”

“Do you even know his name?” Passive asked, already knowing the answer.

“It won’t be long until I learn it,” Nightmare replied, his single eye closed.

“So no,” Passive figured.

Passive snapped his fingers together, realizing something, “Actually now that I think about it-”

“Wow, you can think?” Nightmare placed his head on his hand and smirked at the glare that the comment gave him.

“Shush, as I was saying, I think I saw him in a newspaper somewhere. Pretty sure it was the one you refused to read as soon as you saw Dream’s name, which, by the way, was in the title.” Passive recalled.

“Why does our kingdom need to know about theirs anyway?” Nightmare complained with his arms crossed like a child.

“Maybe because our kingdom sucks?” Passive stated bluntly.

Nightmare scowled but otherwise had no reply, “whatever. So you know his name after all?” He glanced at the ghost.

“Ink. At least that’s what I remember.” Passive tells him. Nightmare hummed, it suited him, he supposed.

“Wait, why was he in a newspaper about Dream?” Nightmare asked.

“Some rumor about their relationship I think? Nothing confirmed but some people believed they were partners when he was introduced as his friend.” Passive seemed to be in thought. Nightmare paused as he processed the words.

“So…he’s close with Dream too?” He grinned when he got an idea. “Stop smiling like that weirdo.” Passive snarked but was curious about his newfound idea.

“What if Dream were to find that he’s here, and willingly?” Passive looked at him judgmentally.

“He’s clearly the soft type, all I have to do is be kinder to him, and my plan will be set,” Nightmare said proudly.

“One problem with that, you can’t be kind to anyone but your idiots, especially not kinder than Dream.” Passive reminded.

“I’m sure I’ll figure it out, besides, how hard can it be?” Nightmare waved off.

Passive was silent for a few seconds before sighing and crossing his arms, “This is why you have no love life.”

Nightmare went silent after that.

---

Hope ya'll like the chapter!(bonus: made a new cover.)