Prologue - New World

''Only 2 silver coins?!''

''Sorry sir, this is the minimum that we could give for the ogre skin.''

''Damnit!''

I aggressively slammed my fist on top of the desk out of frustration. The guild receptionist wasn't doing me any favors.

''Tch.''

I glared into his eyes before swiping away the silver coins on the desk. I turned my back and proceeded to walk out of the place without any further complaints.

There wasn't any use arguing with him. Whatever the price he was going to offer for the monster skin, I had to sell it either way.

(They offer this little for ogre skins...)

Upon reaching the outside of the building, I opened up the palm of my hand and looked down at the profits that I've made today.

''After all that fighting with an ogre, only to end up with 2 silver coins...''

With this amount, I can barely even afford half of my rent for a month with it.

It's only a matter of time before the landlord comes knocking on my door again about last month's rent.

''I'm at a dead end...''

I can't beg the landlord to delay my rent fee again.

It took almost everything out of me to persuade him last time to give me time to pay.

Now that's already been a month since then, I had no excuses left to convince him to let me stay.

''How did things end up like this...''

I had no money leftover on me whatsoever.

Earlier this month, I had to spend it all on a blacksmith to repair my blades, so that I could continue my job as an adventurer.

Ever since then it was difficult for me to save up enough money to buy my own food everyday.

While sluggishly pushing my body forward, both of my legs suddenly stopped in the middle of the street and I stayed still in place.

The gaze of my eyes began to lower, staring blankly towards the ground.

I couldn't barely comprehend my surroundings anymore, the only thing left to fill my mind was deep dark despair.

People on the street were walking past me as if I didn't exist, and continuing on.

(This is it for me...)

There's only so much that I could do with the level of equipment I have.

It wouldn't be an easy fight for me to challenge a higher level monster in a desperate attempt to earn more money.

(Even then, I have to pay for a healing potion to treat my wounds afterwards.)

It's useless for me to think about a way to solve this issue. The only reason why I'm struggling this much in life was because of my birth.

(If only I could be born with power...)

I gazed upon my hands in silence. It made me realize how weak I am compared to others.

(Maybe I should go back to living on the street.)

It's always been like that since I was young. There's no difference for me, living under a shelter or outside in the cold.

But for a slight moment, my eyes glimmered with hope from a thought that came across my mind.

''...That's the only choice I have to get myself out of this hell hole."