Chapter 1

Chapter 1: Bite marks

Big Brother Dastan was leaning on the window frame, his arms loosely crossed while one of his hands had an open book between his fingers, but his attention was outside. On the other side of the window frame was Evan, sitting on it while his other leg was outside. He also had an open book in his hand as well but just like Big Brother Dastan his eyes were focused on someone else. While Casper was silently flipping the pages of his book on our small table.

I tiptoed and held my hands on the window frame. I jumped continuously to recognize the vampire outside.

"He's one of the best councils in the history of vampire court. He's never afraid to voice his opinion even if he knew that no one would back him up. I really admire him. Father once joined me in a meeting before and I enjoyed listening to his opinion. It's a shame that he's about to retire." Dastan said.

"He will retire? Sayang naman. I want to be his student," sabi ni Evan na nanghihinayang.

I jumped desperately to see the vampire, but I couldn't see him! I had little legs.

Hindi ako tumigil sa pagtalon hanggang kapwa na naagaw ang atensyon nina Dastan at Evan. Natigil ako sa pagtalon, natigil sila sa pag-uusap at halinhinan kong sinalubong ang mga mata nila.

Natawa si Evan, yumuko si Dastan at walang pasabi na binuhat ako.

"Here is our curious little princess . . ." ani ni Evan. Umirap ako sa kanya at tinanaw ko ang pinag-uusapan nila ni Dastan.

"His name is Leon. He's one of the wisest vampire councils in history. I heard he's one of the vampires of the prophecy before," dagdag ni Dastan.

"Oh?" Sabi ni Evan.

"What I heard is he has a grandson. Well, he's secretive about his family."

"Oh, he's going to be his successor. He's lucky to have a great teacher." Sabi ni Evan.

"I heard the grandson run away," dagdag muli ni Dastan.

Kapwa naagaw ang atensyon namin nang malakas isara ni Casper ang makapal na aklat na binabasa niya. "He's probably an idiot."

"He's not even aware that different royalties from different empires want his grandfather to be their professor. Tinakbuhan niya pa." Umiiling na sabi ni Evan.

"But I am not really sure. We couldn't just believe the council's gossip, Evan. What if a grandson was just a made-up story to give him a failure?" Sabi ni Dastan.

"He's still an idiot if that was true. Did you ask Father if Leon could give us a private—" Evan was cut off.

"He declined our father's request. I think our father has less convincing power, or he has other commitment with him that—"

Evan sighed. Isinandal niya na rin ang ulo niya sa hamba ng bintana. "Sa tingin mo ay may utang si ama kay Leon? Or maybe he's not impressed with father?"

"Maybe. I noticed that he looks so stressed when Leon's around. I think I found our father's little weakness."

"It is Leon?"

Dastan shrugged his shoulders.

"Are you satisfied now?" Tanong ni Dastan sa akin. Likuran lang ni Leon ang siyang nakikita ko.

Hindi pa man ako nakakasagot kay Dastan nang mabuksan ang silid, narinig ko ang boses ni ama.

Father had that usual bright smile. He was always radiating like the sun, and he always looked so energetic after a long meeting. Lily told me that our father was the opposite of everyone because if he was tired and needed energy to recharge, he looked as if he just come from a long respite.