2

As the new kid in school, Austin was made star of the week so everyone could get to know him better, and he chose to present the letters his dad had sent him while he was deployed.

/ /

Their first week in Wellsbury hadn't even ended when Georgia got caught shoplifting when she was out with her friends.

While at her new job in the mayor's office (close to power for the Queen Cobra) Tory received a call from an unknown number and had to run down to the store.

"My daughter would never steal. This is an outrage. She would never, ever —"
"Mom, I did it." Georgia dejectedly interrupted Tory's rant.
Tory looked at the other girls who had been detained "Did you check the other girls' purses, or just my daughter because she's the poor new kid. I work in Mayor Paul Randolph's office, and he'd be fascinated to know that a store in Wellsbury was profiling."
"Ma'am, I can assure you that had nothing to do with it."
"Did you physically see her shoplift?"
"Yes, a pair of earrings and—"
"Oh my god. Oh, I feel faint." Tory said dramatically. This woman reminded her of Sam LaRusso when she accused her of stealing her mom's wallet. "I'm sorry. Social injustice tends to upset me. Do you know what her Daddy does for this country? I'm sure this was a misunderstanding. I'd love to pay for the earrings." Tory gasped catching eye of something "And this lovely jacket. Such beautiful things. Who picks all this out? You? What an eye." Tory complimented placing all the items down on the counter. "You take cash?"

As soon as they were out of the shop, Tory rounded on the girls. "So, gals, fun day?"
"We had no idea that Georgia was stealing." Abby defended.
Tory glared having half a mind to strike first but instead chastised them like the adult she was "Get on home, girls." Afterwards, she shook her head at her own daughter before turning and walking a few steps. When Georgia didn't move, Tory looked over her shoulder and asked "You comin'?"

Tory took her to the local cafe to calmly discuss this in public rather than the privacy of her own home where she knew she would be free to blow up.
"What are we doing?" Georgia complained.
"We're having a late lunch."
"I'm tired. I wanna go home."
"Oh, criminal activity tucker you out?"
"Mom, do you really think I was being profiled?"
"I dunno, Georgie. What's important is they didn't press charges."
"I mean, can it be profiling if I did it?"
"Wake up, Georgia. It's not about that. Do you think those girls care about you? You're not their friend. You're not one of 'em. How quickly did the scary redhead throw you under the bus?" Tory sighed "I raised you smarter than this. What would Robby say?"
"I dunno, Mom. Why don't you call him and ask? He always wants to talk to you." Tory turned silent, like scarily silent before recovering "What possessed you, seriously?"
"I just wanted them to like me."
Tory scoffed "Your father and I stole because we were starving with parents who didn't give a crap about us and were dying. And you did it as a social activity!" Suddenly, Tory caught the arm of the cafe owner Joe while he was walking by. "Joe!"
"Oh no." He groaned having already been dragged into one of Tory's scams as part of her work in the mayor's office.
"My daughter and I were shopping, and we were suddenly famished."
"Well, I'll give you a little more time." He said trying to make a quick escape but Tory stopped him with a hand on his chest. "While we were shopping, I was thinking, Georgia never learned the value of a dollar. She's just been handed things her whole life, and what she isn't handed, apparently, she just takes."
"I'll come back."
"And that isn't healthy for character development. So I was wondering—"
"No, I-I'm not hiring."
"I was just gonna say we'd love two turkey clubs."
"No mayo." Georgia ordered.
"Extra mayo." Tory countered deliberately. "And I think you should hire Georgia."
"Mom!"
"I knew it."
"Just part-time. I mean, look around. So many customers not being helped."
"That's because I'm standing here talking to you." Tory simply smiled and Joe groaned softly in defeat "Fine. She can start this weekend." He reluctantly agreed causing Georgia to sigh.

/ /

That night Tory couldn't sleep thinking about her past, Robby and their own misdemeanours, and he must've felt his ears burning because her phone soon lit up with his name and picture. Tory groaned before answering it:

"Hi, Rob. What do you want?"
"Ouch. Someone's in a bad mood. I'm just checking in. Sounds like a good time that I called. What happened?"
"Well, do you want the good news or bad news first?"
"Uh, give me some good news."
"As the new kid, Austin was made star of the week. He presented his letters from his you while you're deployed - the kids thought it was cool how his dad was in the army like a real life superhero - you're a hit, Keene."
Robby laughed "Okay, and what's the bad news?"
"Georgia shoplifted."
"What? Why? I thought things were good. Do you need me to send any money?"
"No. Everything is fine. The little shit did it for fun, to fit in with her new friends."
"Did you ground her?"
"Yeah, and I got her a part-time job in a cafe so she can learn the value of money."
"Good idea."
"I never thought this would backfire on us - making sure our kids grew up better than us. Instead, of stealing to survive, she..." Tory trailed off shaking her head in anger.
"I am assuming you never told her about the time I stole a poisonous snake with my bare hands." He reminded her making Tory laugh.
"No, I did not."
"Hey, that one was worth it. I impressed you." He said smugly.
"Shut up, Keene." Tory laughed again. Sobering up she asked "Where are you?"
"Not in America." Robby answered slowly.
"So why are you calling now?"
"I told you, just checking in. Wellsbury, Massachusetts sounds a lot different than Houston, Texas."
"You're bored." She realised. "Why?"
"Uh, I hurt my arm the other day." He replied sheepishly.
"And you're on medical bed rest while the rest of the team rolled out." Tory finished. "How bad is it?" She asked concerned.
"It's actually fine just now, but in the middle of the hot desert... might have become slightly uncomfortable."
"Robby."
"I'm fine." He insisted. "How are you?" Robby asked moving the subject onto Tory.
"Why'd you ask?"
"You moved again. Something scared you."
"Just fancied a change." She eventually answered.
"Okay. Listen, I'm gonna see what I can do about transferring bases, you know, Boston's got a huge Navy fleet."
"I thought you preferred Army special forces to Navy SEALs."
"They're actually quite similar. It's just a job. What matters is that I'm able to come home to you and the kids as much as possible."
"It's not just a job. You like it. If it was just a job, you would have quit after they expunged your juvie record."
"Yeah, well, if you can tell me another career other than owning my own dojo where I can use my karate training I'll be sure to consider it."
"Hmm, I'll have a think." She joked.
"Okay, I'm gonna go call Georgie and Austin and check in on them too. I loved talking to you, baby. I missed you."
"I missed you too. Do not tell Georgie about the snake."
Robby laughed "I love you, Tory."
"I love you, too. Don't die."

/ /

The next night it was the younger Nichols woman who couldn't sleep, due to her period and stress from her new friends, even going as far as to scream in anger.
"Peach? You OK?" Tory stuck her head in the door.
"No! I'm mad. I'm mad at you. I'm mad at myself. I'm just mad."
"It's OK. It's OK to be mad." Tory had learned that in therapy when she was a teenager with anger issues. "I'm mad at you, too, if it makes you feel any better. I know what you need." Tory said mischievously, this was technically more of an idea Robby would have but she had to play both parents. Georgia shook her head knowing what was about to happen "Mm-hmm. Come on." Tory insisted pulling her up. "Austin!" She called before blasting music and making a run for the living room.

"LDP! Living room dance party!" The nine-year-old cheered joining her. Georgia however, took a little bit longer to join in the fun. While, Tory was dancing and jumping around she kept thinking back to all the fun she had with Robby who had introduced her to this stress reliever. Anytime she was stressed he would turn on music and pull her up to dance with him, to remind Tory of how free and happy they felt at prom.