"Why do you even care?" She shrugged her shoulders. "Apparently you said the exact same thing to me".

He sighed deeply. "I didn't mean it in any other way. I...I was just upset with you and didn't want you to do things which you don't want to do, even if it means taking care of me. Meerab, I...", he wiped her tears which were about to roll down her cheeks and continued, "I am trying everything in my power to make you comfortable and happy with me and in this relationship. I...I have started liking you and I thought we are really going somewhere but that day when I heard your conversation with Haya, I..."

"Which day? What conversation?" Confusion was evident in her voice.

"That day when I came for lunch, I heard you saying that you never wanted this marriage nor did you like me. I don't know why but I felt a sharp pain in my chest. It's like whatever was brewing between us didn't mean anything to you. I couldn't control my heart and started ignoring you. But I didn't know that I would be the one who felt miserable by ignoring you." By the time he finished salty waters were already streaming down his cheeks.

"Did you hear our full conversation?"

"No. As I said I was so hurt that I left from there without hearing it fully". His admission was laden with guilt.

"So, why are you telling me now?"

"After Maryam told me everything, I realized that I might have misunderstood you without hearing the full conversation as maa sahab did." He confessed ardently.

"Aur agar Maryam tumhe kuch na kehti ho?" She asked him the obvious question. Her expression remained stoic as her eyes locked onto his.

He nodded his head in sideways. "Pata nahi. Par main kya karta yaar. You hated me so much that I thought..." He couldn't complete as he choked on his words.

Meerab shook her head at the mountain of misunderstandings that Murtasim had kept in his heart. "I never hated you, Murtasim".

Murtasim looked at her in surprise.

"Hate is a very strong word and even a stronger emotion. I just didn't like you. I mean we both were so different. I always hated these traditions which caged a woman inside the house, which snatched the freedom of a woman. We just had different point of views and I didn't like yours. So yeah, I never hated you. Kabhi nafrat nahi ki tumse." She tried to make him understand her stance.

"Then why did you say those words? Why didn't you claim your rights on me? Kabhi to haq jataya karo yar." There was urgency in his voice, a plea to be her priority.

She lowered her lashes fidgeting with the end of her dupatta with her hand which was still in the hold of Murtasim ."Haq samjha tha tabhi to coffee lekar gayi thi par tumne to...", she whispered.

"Ek baat puchu?" He asked looking at her lowered lashes.

She looked up at him. Gaining her attention he continued, "I ignored you for 3 days, didn't talk to you, and didn't even appreciate your efforts of bridging the gap between us then why did you still bring coffee for me?"

Meerab closed her eyes and sighed. Gathering her words in a way so that he could understand her, she started, "Baba always worked late at night. I used to make coffee for both of us and sit together with baba to share some of his work load. Then we chatted and laughed together whole night forgetting the task at hand. When mama found out about that she used to scold both of us". She was smiling by now but then suddenly she shifted her gaze to her lap again. "I told you I felt you were in a foul mood. So I thought a coffee would be good for you. I also wanted to know the reason for your ignorance. So..."