Chapter Eight

Começar do início

I checked the date on my watch. "Well, free practice begins today, but they're in Japan, so no."

Lucie dropped the computer mouse. "Cool. You'll be at the next one then. China."

I scooted my chair closer to hers. She had the full calendar on her screen. Of course, she did.

"I can't afford to leave the studio again," I sighed.

Lucie looked at me like I'd just told her I'd committed a double homicide. "Um, yes you can. You're the owner, you can do whatever the fuck you want."

I laughed.

"Plus, you have the coolest manager who can easily take care of anything. You could take the next six months off to follow your man around the world and the profits would still be up on last year's figures."

"You're so humble," I said sarcastically.

Lucie whacked me on the shoulder. "I'm trying to show you that you don't need to make excuses. Well, at least you can't use the studio as an excuse anymore. If you want to travel with him, just know this place will be in safe hands."

I bit my lip as I anticipated my next words. It sounded convincing, and I had been feeling off since I'd come back. Maybe a six-month sabbatical was exactly what I needed. I knew Theo would appreciate it too.

"I'll think about it," I said eventually.

She squeezed my shoulder. "Perfect."

***

I gently pushed open my front door and pulled the key out of its lock. I didn't know why, but something felt off. It was a struggle to unlock it at first...as if the door hadn't been locked in the first place.

The main lights were all off, which wasn't out of the blue. But my lamp in the lounge dimly shone through the hallway. I never left my lights on. If I was paying for electricity, there was no way I would carelessly do such an act. I picked up the cricket bat I kept for safety and walked towards the living room.

"Hello?" I called out.

A loud crash made me jolt, and I almost froze in fear. Someone, or something, was here. In my house. With me and only me. God, I should've opened a self-defence studio.

A tall shadow made its way towards me as I held the bat up high. Just swing and aim for the head. Then kick his balls. 

"Go away," I yelled as I took aim at the intruder.

They caught it with ease, laughing as they pulled my weapon out of my hand. "Sydney, it's me. It's me." The familiar voice made my muscles relax slightly, and I stepped closer to the light.

Jeremy stood in front of my couch, ignoring the pot plant he'd knocked over.

"What the fuck are you doing here?" I yelled because I was most definitely still startled.

Jeremy laughed, his smile warming my heart. "I forgot the TV remote when I picked it up last week. I figured it would be on the table here." He held it in the air. "I was right."

I shook my head. "How'd you get in?"

"I still have a copy of your keys." He jingled his key set, before sliding mine off the ring. He held it out, and I snatched it from his hand.

"Don't ever do that again," I snapped as I walked around the couch and began picking up the pot plant.

"So, Henry Toussaint, huh?" Jeremy began as I carried the broken pieces to my kitchen.

I slid my bag off my shoulders. "Yep."

"That's exciting."

I nodded, still facing away from him. "It is."