11. Torture for You

Start from the beginning

"Answer the fucking question!" I shouted violently, standing beside Clarke. The weight of responsibility drove me to push harder, to demand answers at any cost.

"Show us, please. She's my friend." Octavia pleaded but the man's gaze didn't falter.

"Which one? Our friends are dying and you can stop it!" Clarke repeated as I felt physically ill over the thought of Lucinda dying. I couldn't bear the thought of losing her, of standing by helplessly as death claimed her soul.

"Bellamy, she stopped shaking!" Miller shouted out as I turned to see Lucinda's lifeless form. It ignited the darkest parts of me. With a surge of adrenaline coursing through my veins, I knew what needed to be done.

"That's it." I spoke before I lashed out, my fist connecting with the grounder's jawline with a sickening thud.

"Bellamy, no!" Octavia's cry of protest fell on deaf ears, my vision blurred with rage and fear.

"He's killing her Octavia! He's killing Lu! Why can't you see that? Do you want her to die?" I shouted as rage consumed me.

"Bellamy, don't." Octavia snapped back, hurt by my insinuation that she didn't care for Lucinda's life. "Clarke, you said it yourself, this is not who we are. He was protecting me, he saved my life!"

"I don't give a fuck if he saved your life! Right now we're talking about Lu and Finn's lives!" I snapped as Octavia gave me a bitter glance. Octavia's anger only served to fuel the fire raging within me, driving me further down a path from which there could be no return. At that moment, the only thing that mattered was the lifeless form of Lucinda lying before us.

"Do it." Clarke accepted, nodding in my direction and I wasted no time before grabbing the knife from my pocket. Octavia continued to plead with the grounder as I quickly cut a seatbelt strap loose from the drop ship before making my way back to the grounder. I used my knife to rip open his shirt, knowing I needed to make this as painful as physically possible.

"You're going to show us the antidote or you're going to wish you had." I spat viciously as Octavia begged for me to back down, only encouraging me to step back with the seatbelt in my hand. I looked back to see Lucinda's small limp frame in Miller's lap, the only motivation I needed to carry this out.

I turned to face the grounder before swinging the seatbelt back and smashing the metal buckle against the grounder's chest. My mind went numb with memories of Lucinda replaying in my mind as I swung the seatbelt back and forth, slamming it harshly against his body without remorse.

The image of the first time I locked eyes with her on the drop ship coloured my vision. Her determined stride carried her to the front of the crowd where I stood near the drop ship lever. Even then, before we had even set foot on Earth, her presence had captivated me, drawing me in with an irresistible allure. Her cascading brunette hair framed her delicate features, and her deep brown eyes sparkled. But it was her tan bronzed skin that truly caught my attention, radiant and sun-kissed despite the sterile confines of the Ark. And her perfectly curved lips, inviting with a hint of a smile that seemed to promise a world of possibilities. And now, as I swung the seatbelt with fierce determination, that memory served as a beacon of hope in the darkness that threatened to take her away from me.

In that moment, I had found something worth fighting for, something worth sacrificing everything to protect. And as I fought to save Lucinda, I clung to the memory of that first encounter. Each blow I delivered was fuelled by the haunting image of her lifeless body lying cold and still on the ground. I was consumed as the thought of Lucinda dying shattered any moral boundaries I held.

However, I quickly began to realise the grounder wasn't going to cave. So I quickly picked up my knife before turning to face the grounder.

"Last chance." Despite my warning, his expression remained emotionless. Without a second thought, I plunged the knife through the grounder's palm. The grounder strangled a cry as he tried his best to maintain his strong facade. After my actions, I watched the grounder closely, desperately searching for any signs of surrender in his eyes.