"That's fine," I replied, "I'm good with skipping breakfast."

The boy's eyes widened, eyebrows raising. "Oh no. No, no, no. The kitchen is still open. Feel free to take whatever you need man, we just usually eat together. You're all good. Eat as much as you need. Er-"

Quirking an eyebrow, I fully stepped out of the bathroom. "Oh, alright then! Sounds good to me," I mumbled. We stared at each other for a beat, before Arthur coughed and moved away.

"Uh— I think that you're all set here so... are you good with going downstairs on your own? When you're ready of course... no rush!" he seemed about as unsure as I was, which was at least a bit reassuring.

I smiled slightly at him. "Yeah. That's good with me." As he began to turn away, though, I stopped him. "Thanks for everything by the way. You're really a pretty cool guy Arthur."

He glanced back over his shoulder, a surprised look on his face. "Of course man, I know it can be difficult adjusting. Don't mind the others as much if they say anything, they're not too great around new people. Have a good day!"

He was definitely talking about Carson and Dante. I tried to mask a small grin as he turned.

With that, he left the room. After the door clicked shut I flopped on my bed, letting out a rush of air.  I had forgotten how much talking could take out of me. Or maybe it was almost being caught mid-breakdown. That'd would've been an embarrassing way to start these next three months.

It seemed like Arthur was wearing clothes to go out, as he also held a school bag. Huh. Maybe we could leave the grounds for certain things?

I shrugged the thought off, before it was replaced with a newer, growing worry. If Arthur left, I was going to have to deal with people I wasn't familiar with.

What would I do if I ran into Dante, or Carson? As he had warned, they hadn't seemed too fond of me the previous night...

Did any of the people in here have violent tendencies?

Once again I discarded that thought. That's super rude to consider Lu. Would you like it if someone assumed you had violent tendencies when you needed help? Have some compassion you idiot. I cringed, immediately springing off my bed.

First on the agenda was drying my hair. I could worry about all... that... later.

• • •

Stepping out of my room was scary. Walking awkwardly towards downstairs, alone, was also scary. Seeing two unfamiliar faces staring back at me was additionally scary. Almost falling down a flight of stairs was even scarier.

I windmilled my arms rapidly, attempting to regain my balance before I plummeted down a ridiculously ornate stairway. That'd be an awful way to go.

Mom, I'm really, really sorry for the hospital bill I'm about to cause.  I promise this time it was a totally, completely unpreventable accident. This'll never happen again —well it can't if I die— and–

My thoughts were cut off as two pairs of steady hands grabbed me and pulled me upright.

I let out a breath I was holding in as I was steadied, bending over to clutch my knees as I tried to calm my racing heart.