12. boyfriends

Beginne am Anfang

"aw yeah, i love this song," the older comments as a falling in reverse song begins.

"me too," tyler shares, too nervous to look anywhere other than the bouquet in his lap.

"are you okay?"

tyler answers with, "do you think i'm weird?"

"tyler!" josh can't help but laugh. "no, i do not think you're weird. do you think i'm weird?"

"what? no!"

"okay, then. i'm still me, you know. and you're still you. nothing has changed."

"well, kinda..."

"i mean fundamentally. don't worry that pretty little head of yours, okay? i like you just as much as before. that hasn't changed."

"really?"

"yep. really. i'm actually a bit worried you might not like me as much."

"what!" tyler gasps. "why?"

"because," josh explains, "i'm not exactly already what you were looking for. i don't know. maybe you had expectations and-"

"i didn't," tyler cuts him off. "i promise."

"if you say so. oh! i love this song."

josh reaches for the center console, turning the volume to the stereo up as papa roach comes on. tyler can't help but grin as josh starts singing along, his fingers tapping against the steering wheel in rhythm with the song. the boy finds himself singing along as well and, by the time they reach the restaurant, they've completed a duo performance of papa roach's last resort.

"do you think these will be okay in the car?" tyler asks, holding up the bouquet.

"it should be fine. the lady at the flower shop wrapped them in a wet paper towel and said they should be okay for a few hours. you can just leave them on the seat."

tyler does just that, gently setting the bouquet on the seat as to not squish any of the flowers. josh shuts the door for him and extends a hand, which tyler graciously accepts with flushed cheeks. as their fingers interlock, the younger realizes how grossly sweaty his palm is. he can't tell if josh's is too, or if it's just him.

josh had been lucky enough to get a reservation, so the hostess leads them to their table right away. the waiter approaches just as tyler glances at the menu. josh orders a water but tyler hates water so he asks for for a pink lemonade instead. after josh tells the waiter they won't be ordering any appetizers, he leaves them alone.

tyler holds the menu in front of his face, scanning each item without actually reading its description. all he can focus on is the anxiety bubbling in his stomach regarding having this conversation in person, officially. he's practically hiding himself behind the menu, sinking in his seat once he peeks over the top of the menu and realizes josh is looking at him with that big, dumb smile.

"can i help you?" tyler asks before hiding his face once more.

"are you actually looking at the menu or just hiding?"

"yes."

"tyler." josh chuckles, reaching across the table to take the menu from him. he sets it down flat on the table, leaving the brunette feeling exposed. he gulps, holding eye contact with josh for a moment.

"what are you gonna get?"

"chicken parm and spaghetti. what are you gonna get?" josh raises an eyebrow.

"i am so anxious right now," is tyler's response.

"what? why?"

"i don't know. i'm kinda freaking out. i'm not good with confrontation."